Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Need nasal mask and chin strap recommendations please - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Need nasal mask and chin strap recommendations please (/Thread-Need-nasal-mask-and-chin-strap-recommendations-please)

Need nasal mask and chin strap recommendations please - NadiaK - 05-11-2017

So yesterday I went to my family doctor for a regular checkup. She is the one that arranged my initial sleep study three years ago. I discussed with her the fact that no matter how loose I keep my full face mask along with using the pad a cheek liners, I am still getting terrible pressure marks. I also told her how unhappy I was with the current DME since they seem to offer very little help and actually asked me what different mask I wanted to use. I was told by my doctor that they no longer recommend that DME and that she is actually going to arrange for a new one to come out to my house. I was very pleased to hear this.

When I was first fitted with a mask three years ago I was given a nasal mask. However I soon found that I opened my mouth while I slept and had to change over to a full face mask. So now that a new DME will be coming to see me, I am seriously thinking of trying a nasal mask again with a chin strap. I would love to hear which nasal mask you prefer as well as which chin strap works best for you? I have never tried a chin strap so am a little apprehensive as I am quite claustrophobic. Thank you for any suggestions you may have.

RE: Need nasal mask and chin strap recommendations please - Marillion - 05-11-2017

If you were going to go the Nasal mask route, I would recommend you try the Resmed N20. It's relatively new and one of the best nasal masks on the market right now in my opinion. Another option (my favorite) would be the Resmed Airfit P10 nasal pillows. It is much beloved by many here on this forum. But there are certainly other options. You will only know when you test them out for a few days, although I have tested out certain masks where I knew after even one session that it was not the one for me. There is also the Phillips Respironics Dreamwear mask and in its latest form incorporates gel pillows. Reviews are just starting to trickle in. I never got along with it's original form and I am too happy with my P10s to try it but it may be worth a shot for you.

As far as chin straps go. You have a lot of choices. Personally, I use a Halo Chin strap and it tends to pull the jaw backward less than some other types. Unfortunately some chin straps tend to pull your jaw backwards which can increase the possibility of more obstructive events. You want one that as much as possible pulls upward in a straight line rather than backwards towards your ears. Another option is the Ultimate Chinstrap. It is better at keeping your lips closed since it goes over your mouth as well. Even if you use a chin strap, some people can experience air leaking past their lips. The "tongue to the roof of the mouth" exercise during the day has yielded good results for some, to get your tongue used to staying suctioned at the top of your mouth at the inside of your top front teeth. This can help to keep the airway seal even if your lips open slightly. The Philips Respironics Deluxe Chin Strap also is designed to pull the jaw upwards rather than back. It also may be worth a look.

Many options, but you will have to experiment to see what works best for you. Rest assured that your patience will be rewarded at the end if you persist! We are here to help and offer advice as needed. Don't hesitate to ask for guidance.

RE: Need nasal mask and chin strap recommendations please - Whacked - 05-11-2017

Chinstraps. I have the Ruby Style, non-adjustable. Not bad, fairly comfortable. can leave marks, usually under my chin or side of face from side-sleeping.
DME sent me the Premium Chinstrap. Have not used it. it seems small and it barely connects on top of my head.

Masks: I use the Brevida and Dreamwear. I love them both. 
Dreamwear can leak more (but doesn't trigger a large leak) side-sleeping. Noticed a whistling on occasion. Brevida is much quieter. Dreamwear now has a new gel pillow which may fix the side-sleeping leaks. have not tried that yet.
Brevida did dry out my nostrils, increased humidifier to 5 to fix that. I did get a red spot (non-painful) at the edge of my nose. Lotion morning & afternoon for a couple days fixed that and it hasn't resurfaced.
Both are very comfortable. can wear my glasses with either.

With a chin strap I would try a pillow or cushion over a nasal mask.

RE: Need nasal mask and chin strap recommendations please - Gideon - 05-11-2017

review the Mask Primer, there is a lot of info on masks and mouth breathing and leak managemnet in there.  see my sig

RE: Need nasal mask and chin strap recommendations please - zonk - 05-11-2017

(05-11-2017, 10:53 AM)NadiaK Wrote: So yesterday I went to my family doctor for a regular checkup. She is the one that arranged my initial sleep study three years ago. I discussed with her the fact that no matter how loose I keep my full face mask along with using the pad a cheek liners, I am still getting terrible pressure marks. I also told her how unhappy I was with the current DME since they seem to offer very little help and actually asked me what different mask I wanted to use. I was told by my doctor that they no longer recommend that DME and that she is actually going to arrange for a new one to come out to my house. I was very pleased to hear this.

When I was first fitted with a mask three years ago I was given a nasal mask. However I soon found that I opened my mouth while I slept and had to change over to a full face mask. So now that a new DME will be coming to see me, I am seriously thinking of trying a nasal mask again with a chin strap. I would love to hear which nasal mask you prefer as well as which chin strap works best for you? I have never tried a chin strap so am a little apprehensive as I am quite claustrophobic. Thank you for any suggestions you may have.

Hi NadiaK
Masks can be tricky to recommend as they don't work in the same way to everyone, matter of trail and error
Ask your DME for  the 30 days masks trial, try different masks and sizes until you find one comfortable and works best for you
I've been using ResMed Activa LT nasal mask for several years, I find it comfortable, seal well with little effort, with good unintentional leak numbers. As for chinstrap, Ruby adjustable is one of the best chinstrap I've tried
The machine in your profile PRS1 Plus with C Flex, beside usage hours for insurance compliance, this machine doesn't record AHI, leak rate, or any useful data to determine the effectiveness of the therapy 
Since insurance allow 5 years for a new machine and you've used yours for three years, two more years left 
You can carry on using this machine for 2 more years or buy a new data capable machine out pocket  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=Archangle:Machine_ChoicesSupplier #2 is a good choice for new or gently used machines

RE: Need nasal mask and chin strap recommendations please - MitchS - 05-11-2017

I will second the Ruby adjustable chin strap.

I have had good luck with the ResMed P10 pillow mask. Haven't used a nasal mask, so I can't help you there.

RE: Need nasal mask and chin strap recommendations please - NadiaK - 05-12-2017

Thank you so much for all your suggestions. I should have said nasal pillows in addition to a nasal mask which some of you commented on. I am going to do some more research on the suggestions you all gave so I have a good idea what to tell the new DME.

RE: Need nasal mask and chin strap recommendations please - Whacked - 05-12-2017

just ordered the new gel pillows for the Dreamwear.
hope to solve the whistling and leaks while side-sleeping.
should get it mid-week

RE: Need nasal mask and chin strap recommendations please - NadiaK - 05-12-2017

(05-12-2017, 06:33 PM)Whacked Wrote: just ordered the new gel pillows for the Dreamwear.
hope to solve the whistling and leaks while side-sleeping.
should get it mid-week

Please update us on how you like them.  I might consider trying them as well.

RE: Need nasal mask and chin strap recommendations please - bbigh1t - 05-14-2017

I too have the N20 and use a Resmed Deluxe Chin Strap. It can be a little warm but I wear it under my headgear and don't get any marks from the straps when I sleep on my side. I like the mask because I can wear my glasses with it but as a lifelong allergy sufferer I have been mouth breathing for survival and this strap work well for me.

Lee