Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
We need a bespoke mask service.. - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: We need a bespoke mask service.. (/Thread-We-need-a-bespoke-mask-service)

We need a bespoke mask service.. - tml678 - 05-13-2017

Just sitting here thinking that given how difficult it is for so many of us to find a mask that fits properly, I can't help but wonder why the major companies don't offer a bespoke mask fitting and manufacturing service?

Surely with the ever increasing number of customers out there, they could somehow make it a viable business case. I'd envisage that we'd be able to go into a locality to have a mold taken of our facial structures and, depending on the type of mask required, have one made up that would be absolutely guaranteed to be comfortable and seal well.

If they can do it with false teeth and make it commercially viable, why not PAP masks..I know I'd pay well for such a service..

Thoughts anyone..?

RE: We need a bespoke mask service.. - car54 - 05-13-2017

There are places that do that. Do a search for custom made cpap masks.

RE: We need a bespoke mask service.. - DeepBreathing - 05-13-2017

There was a company in Singapore which offered a laser scan / 3D print service for masks. I don't know how they are going.

RE: We need a bespoke mask service.. - xxyzx - 05-13-2017

(05-13-2017, 06:35 AM)tml678 Wrote: Just sitting here thinking that given how difficult it is for so many of us to find a mask that fits properly, I can't help but wonder why the major companies don't offer a bespoke mask fitting and manufacturing service?

Surely with the ever increasing number of customers out there, they could somehow make it a viable business case. I'd envisage that we'd be able to go into a locality to have a mold taken of our facial structures and, depending on the type of mask required, have one made up that would be absolutely guaranteed to be comfortable and seal well.

If they can do it with false teeth and make it commercially viable, why not PAP masks..I know I'd pay well for such a service..

Thoughts anyone..?

cost 

masks dont last that long 

how much would you be willing to pay
your insurance wont pay for it

RE: We need a bespoke mask service.. - TASmart - 05-13-2017

Yes I was thinking the same thing, is how to make the seal custom enough to fit all the face shapes, yet be affordably replacable. But then again, for the select few maybe cost is not so much an issue. 

I would think though, that good engineering design could overcome the shape issue with a very soft seal and a more ridged backbone that is custom designed. Volume and efficiencies of scale would seem to remain an issue though.

RE: We need a bespoke mask service.. - ihatesleepapnea2017 - 05-14-2017

There are a bunch of companies popping up now that do exactly this. Check out Apnea Seal - they are based in Sydney.

PS. If you're struggling with CPAP consider an oral appliance. I recently made the switch and am soooooo happy I did so. Don't plan on touching another CPAP machine.

RE: We need a bespoke mask service.. - eseedhouse - 05-14-2017

The only known reliable and effective treatment for Sleep Apnea is some form of positive airway pressure.

Some people may get relief with an oral device, but the evidence for them is scanty.  There is on the other hand plenty of evidence that *PAP therapy when properly used can be very effective.

How do you know your apnea is being effectively treated since these devices give you no data?  At least a *PAP machine will tell you how well you are being treated, and no oral device can do that.  That information allows you to adjust your treatment for the best results and is crucial for good treatment.

Yes, there are problems with *PAP treatment, that's why this forum exists.  One will be much wiser to listen to the advice given on this forum than taking a chance on a device for which there is little or no evidence of effectiveness.  Untreated or badly treated sleep apnea kills and disables.

RE: We need a bespoke mask service.. - ihatesleepapnea2017 - 05-14-2017

eseedhouse,

I *know* it is being treated because by the oral appliance because if I sleep without it I *can't* get out of bed before 3-4pm in the afternoon.

I will confirm what I already know (ie. working effectively) in just a few short weeks when I have a follow-up sleep study.

With a post like yours you are putting a lot of people off from trying something that may very well work for them and that is just wrong. I put off trying the appliance because of this forum and felt like since CPAP wasn't working out I had no options left.

I'm sure oral appliance therapy doesn't work for everybody just like CPAP doesn't. For those it does work it is a far superior option.