Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[Equipment] Humidifier water tank..... - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [Equipment] Humidifier water tank..... (/Thread-Equipment-Humidifier-water-tank)

Pages: 1 2

Humidifier water tank..... - MDHilz - 05-13-2017

Hello,
   How important is to get a new  humidifier water tank every 6 months. I clean mine out thoroughly every week & it seems fine to me. Is it really necessary???

Thanks

RE: Humidifier water tank..... - Melman - 05-13-2017

If you can keep it clean, nothing is broken, and it doesn't leak thee is probably no reason to change it. I've used one for over a year.

I would replace it if there was a buildup of minerals on the metal bottom as that would interfere with the transmission of heat.

RE: Humidifier water tank..... - MDHilz - 05-13-2017

Thanks

RE: Humidifier water tank..... - OpalRose - 05-13-2017

If your insurance covers it, it's a good idea to have an extra.

RE: Humidifier water tank..... - xxyzx - 05-13-2017

(05-13-2017, 12:43 PM)MDHilz Wrote: Hello,
   How important is to get a new  humidifier water tank every 6 months. I clean mine out thoroughly every week & it seems fine to me. Is it really necessary???

Thanks

depends who pays for it

if insurance does i would stockpile a spare 
for the time you do need it

RE: Humidifier water tank..... - Crimson Nape - 05-13-2017

I'm still using the tank that came with my CPAP and that was 3 years ago. I bought the "Dishwasher Safe" tank shortly after getting my unit and it is still in it box.

RE: Humidifier water tank..... - Rcgop - 05-13-2017

One year and still on the same tank. I did order a new one and keep it for a spare. I have no plans to replace it until it gives me a sign. I use distilled water and it still looks like brand new. 

Replacement schedule:
Tank - when it breaks
Hose - next time at one year or breaks 
Mask and head gear- one year or when it breaks
Pillows - two months, maybe longer next time. They're expensive. 
Chin strap - never again. I have out grown the need. 

I have tried shorter times but found no good reason to change more frequently and the equipment always looked and function like the new replacement. Except the filter. I change it every two months. (I have cats and am allergic.)

RE: Humidifier water tank..... - Ockrocket - 05-13-2017

Do Resmed really recommend replacement every six months?  Bug-eyed 
[mind you, I have never bothered to read my PR Dreamstation booklet to see what it recommends]

My theory is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" ....... while my equipment continues to do the job I will keep using it. 

I just give everything a basic clean once a month. [but then I don't have any real health issues that require me to be overly 'bug sterile' at this stage]

RE: Humidifier water tank..... - Rcgop - 05-14-2017

(05-13-2017, 08:45 PM)Ockrocket Wrote: Do Resmed really recommend replacement every six months?  Bug-eyed 

The only official thing I have found from Resmed is to change the filters every 2 months. More or less if conditions require.

RE: Humidifier water tank..... - E.W. - 05-15-2017

I think most insurance will let you replace the hose at 3 months and the humidifier tank at 6 months. 
But I only use my humidifier about 50% of the time and have a humidifier tank that is at least 5 years 
old and still works. And in the 10 + years I have been on cpap I have only needed to replace the hose
twice. Oh it's always  good to have an extra one in case yours breaks at 2am and not be like some posters
I have seen here saying something like " It's saterday night and I just found my cat chewed a hole in my
hose what am I going to do "