Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Dizzy when I wake up. - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Dizzy when I wake up. (/Thread-Dizzy-when-I-wake-up)

Dizzy when I wake up. - gmdaneker - 09-05-2012

I have used the resmed S9 Auto CPAP and have been using it for 8 months now with no problems or side effects until this week. I have recently been waking up very disoriented and dizzy. It lasted only a few hours the first time, but is lasting all day now since about a week. Does anyone know if it is the pressure or what? I am using tap water in a different area of the country since the 1st of August. Will that really make that big of a difference? It is really concerning me. I previously used filtered tap water. A person could conclude that it is an inner ear issue, but how could it be related to the CPAP machine? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I recently lost my insurance or I would just call a doctor. I might have to anyway.

Thanks

Thanks in advance!

RE: Dizzy when I wake up. - trish6hundred - 09-05-2012

Hi gmdaneker, First of all, WELCOME! to the forum.! Have you changed your pressure recently? Just hang tight and someone will give you more suggestions. Keep checkin' back into the forum and best of luck to you.

RE: Dizzy when I wake up. - PaulaO2 - 09-05-2012

No, it's not the water. It is the CPAP.

What happens is the sinuses are connected to the ears or something like that. The eustachian tube can feel the pressure at times. I have never been able to figure out what the difference is when it happens to me.

You say you are in a different part of the country. Are you at a greater higher or lower elevation?

If not, then it is inner ear issues. It could be related to the CPAP, it could be something different entirely. Your best bet would be to go to a doc. Check to see if you are eligible for services at the county health department.

In terms of tap water, as long as it is water that is low in minerals, it should be fine. Bottled distilled water is fairly cheap.

RE: Dizzy when I wake up. - gmdaneker - 09-05-2012

(09-05-2012, 09:02 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: No, it's not the water. It is the CPAP.

What happens is the sinuses are connected to the ears or something like that. The eustachian tube can feel the pressure at times. I have never been able to figure out what the difference is when it happens to me.

You say you are in a different part of the country. Are you at a greater higher or lower elevation?

If not, then it is inner ear issues. It could be related to the CPAP, it could be something different entirely. Your best bet would be to go to a doc. Check to see if you are eligible for services at the county health department.

In terms of tap water, as long as it is water that is low in minerals, it should be fine. Bottled distilled water is fairly cheap.
I lived in Tulsa, Ok and now in NW Arkansas. The elevation is higher here. Thanks for the reply.

RE: Dizzy when I wake up. - gmdaneker - 09-05-2012

Here are my stats:
Product: VPAP Adapt (S9)
10/20/2011 - 9/4/2012
Device Settings
Therapy Mode: ASV EPAP: 12.0 cmH2O Max PS: 13.0 cmH2O
Min PS: 3.0 cmH2O
IPAP - cmH2O
Median: 15.7 95th Percentile: 19.1 Maximum: 22.1
Leak - L/min
Median: 0.0 95th Percentile: 0.0 Maximum: 10.8
Target Minute Ventilation - L/min
Median: 6.9 95th Percentile: 8.5 Maximum: 10.5
Tidal Volume - mL
Median: 460 95th Percentile: 620 Maximum: 1200
Minute Ventilation - L/min
Median: 7.5 95th Percentile: 9.9 Maximum: 16.9
Respiratory Rate - breaths/min
Median: 16 95th Percentile: 18 Maximum: 20
AHI & AI - Events/hr
Apnea index: 0.0 AHI: 0.1 Hypopnea index: 0.1
Usage
Used Days >= 4 hrs : 312 Used Days < 4 hrs : 3 % Used Days >= 4 hrs : 97
Days not used: 6 Total days: 321 Median daily usage: 8:18
Total hours used: 2542:32 Average daily usage: 7:55
Name: Gary
Patient ID:
Report prepared by: Owner on 9/5/2012 at 12:14 PM
Designed
Not sure if the max pressure is considered high or not, HHmmmm!

RE: Dizzy when I wake up. - archangle - 09-06-2012

There's always the possibility of some medical condition unrelated to CPAP.

The Eustachian tube connects to the throat directly. That's why blowing your nose or CPAP will sometimes make your ears pop.

Low O2 in your sleep may affect you this way. You might even get sort of a withdrawal effect if you've been having low O2, and are now getting good O2 in your sleep.

Inner ear problems can sometimes be permanent if you don't get treatment, so be careful.

Google "inner ear maneuver."

Unless you can't get to the grocery store every few weeks, don't use tap water. Distilled water is cheap enough.

RE: Dizzy when I wake up. - gmdaneker - 09-07-2012

Thank you all for your input.

RE: Dizzy when I wake up. - Sleepster - 09-07-2012

(09-05-2012, 08:50 PM)gmdaneker Wrote: It lasted only a few hours the first time, but is lasting all day now since about a week.

Sounds serious enough that you should see your doctor. Let them first rule out the possibility that it's an inner ear issue that may or may not be related to the CPAP therapy.