Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
New to CPAP Therapy - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: New to CPAP Therapy (/Thread-New-to-CPAP-Therapy)

New to CPAP Therapy - Hansonts - 05-19-2017

Hello All, 
    Like the subject line says, new to CPAP therapy since mid-March but I guess I've been doing an unofficial study.  Last year I was told I have herniated disk C4-C7 causing my pain through my neck and shoulder region (left side).  After PT and neck traction things started getting better, but still had pain at night so my doc prescribed a Miami J collar for sleeping.  It helped but uncomfortable because I'm not a back sleeper.  Then the pain in the right shoulder started, doc appts, PT, more doc appts....Then my family practice doc talked me in to doing a sleep study and that is when I learned I have sever sleep apnea AHI 33 and started CPAP therapy.  In a sense it was a blessing, sleep much better more energy....but I continued to wear the collar to but now able to sleep on my back.  My Dreammapper reported an AHI of 0.2-2.0 for about 4-5weeks.  Then I had shoulder surgery on my right shoulder, I continued with the CPAP but wasn't wearing the collar.  Guess because it was hard to put on and two I looked like I was in a bad accident and belonged in a hosp ICU.  I noticed my AHI jumped to 3.0-5.0 and even some 7's.
Well, I'm still in a shoulder immobilizer as needed and when I sleep, and started wearing the Miami J again and Dreammapper is showing AHI 0.2-2.0 but normally in the 1's.

RE: New to CPAP Therapy - OpalRose - 05-19-2017

Many of us here have discovered that using a "soft" cervical collar keeps our neck aligned at night.  It also helps to keep your jaw/mouth from dropping open, and eliminates mouth breathing.

If you tend to tuck your chin to your chest, a "soft" collar will help.

These are reasonably priced and various sizes are available on Amazon.

RE: New to CPAP Therapy - Hansonts - 05-19-2017

Thanks for the reply/info.  I'm retire USAF and still living in Japan working on the base I retired from.  The ortho lab tried to give me a soft (firm) collar but it was the wrong size so the tech gave me the Miami J and an Aspen with adjustable chin piece.  I find the Miami J more comfortable.

New to CPAP Therapy - karateken - 05-19-2017

Hi 

Just joined yesterday

Perhaps an old and regular question, last night my ResMed showed that I had excessive mask leakage, but my AHI reading was 1.4 could that low AHI be due to my NasalPillows mask leakage?

Thanks for your help

Fish from Canada

RE: New to CPAP Therapy - Crimson Nape - 05-19-2017

Large leaks prevent or hinder the CPAP from detecting any events. It could mean that you had a good night or you just hid the stuff from the machine. How do you feel?

RE: New to CPAP Therapy - trish6hundred - 05-19-2017

Hi Hansonts,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It's good to hear that you are noticing improvement
with CPAP therapy. Hang in there for more responses to your post, and good luck to you on your CPAP journey.