Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Chest pain - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Chest pain (/Thread-Chest-pain)

Chest pain - Apneamomma - 05-20-2017

hi, 

I've been using ResMed 10 for her and a full face mask for 2 weeks now. 

Initially I felt Fantastic but I went for a follow up and the respiratory therapist changed my pressure. Now my chest hurts. Is this normal starting with therapy? Is it because I'm breathing better and filling my lungs?

RE: Chest pain - TASmart - 05-20-2017

You need to download and install sleepyhead, see the link at the top of the page. No way to tell what is going on without being able to look at the data. I would start by calling your Rt and advising them on what is going on.

RE: Chest pain - Apneamomma - 05-21-2017

Can I use sleepyhead with only an IPad?

RE: Chest pain - DeepBreathing - 05-21-2017

Welcome to Apnea Board, Apneamomma.

Quote:Can I use sleepyhead with only an IPad?

Sadly, no. It will run on Windows, Mac and Linux but not on iPads or similar gadgets.

It's not unknown for people to develop a mild chest pain on starting PAP therapy. However the standard recommendation whenever you have unexplained chest pain is to see a doctor quick smart, to rule out anything serious. At the very least, get back to your sleep clinic and tell them you're experiencing pain, and find out what changes they made.

We are strong advocates of apnea patients managing and understanding their own therapy, so you should find out what pressures were prescribed and what changes were made. We also recommend you get a copy of the full sleep study and prescription - you will very likely need these in years to come. In the meantime, go to the link CPAP Setup Manuals at the top of the page and request the clinician manual for your machine. This will show you how to interrogate your machine and determine what the settings are.

RE: Chest pain - Apneamomma - 05-21-2017

Thank you, this is one of those times I miss having a computer. In the morning I'll look deeper into the machine. It's a long weekend in Canada but I'll head to my doctor on Tuesday. 

I appreciate the advice

RE: Chest pain - Gideon - 05-21-2017

"Chest Pain" = Red Flag. As stated above the FIRST step is to see your Dr. and possibly the ER. It may be nothing, but the normal bad things need to be ruled out.

DeepBreathing is spot on.

Press the 2 buttons on the front for 3 seconds, that opens the magic window on your machine. Change with care, but you can see all the settings.

RE: Chest pain - Sleepster - 05-21-2017

At the very least, find out what the original pressure settings were before they changed them. Then you can compare them to the current settings. Your machine can be set to deliver a constant pressure or when set in auto mode a range of pressures.

I don't recommend that you make any changes to your pressure settings right now.

If your medical care providers did everything right, which is possible but by no means certain, they may have raised your pressure because you were having too many obstructive apneas or hypopneas. Raising the pressure can cause too may central apneas, so you need to watch for that.

If you register at ResMed's myAir website you will at least be able to see some statistics. Your machine can be set, and may already be set, to have its on-screen display show even more detailed statistics.

RE: Chest pain - trish6hundred - 05-21-2017

Hi Apneamomma,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I wish you good luck with CPAP therapy, hang in there for more responses to your post.

RE: Chest pain - Apneamomma - 05-24-2017

There is nothing wrong with me Yay!

I called the sleep clinic today and the respatory therapist I spoke to changed my pressure from 7-14 to a fixed 8. The mask was leaking directly into my eyes so when I woke up my eyes were sealed with discharge and my eyes were tired. Fingers crossed this will help

RE: Chest pain - kwhenrykerr - 05-24-2017

You are OK now get some Good Sleep

Okay