Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Medium Whisp Nasal Mask Alternatives? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Medium Whisp Nasal Mask Alternatives? (/Thread-Medium-Whisp-Nasal-Mask-Alternatives)

Medium Whisp Nasal Mask Alternatives? - player - 05-24-2017

I am wondering if anyone would recommend an alternative to the Whisp? I use the L size. Not the XL, but the 2nd largest mask. I tried the Resmed Airfit N10 but it was small for my nose and blows air into my eyes. (What a waste of $120 bucks.) The Whisp is fine, but my bridge nose is getting a dent where the mask rests on it.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

RE: Medium Whisp Nasal Mask Alternatives? - pholynyk - 05-24-2017

I also use the large Wisp mask (with a Topaz style chin strap), and my alternative is the Amara View. Oddly enough, I found the Small size fits me better, even thought the fitting guide says medium. I was able to try both before buying it. It is a little fussy, and the leakage seems quite variable, but I like how it treats my nose.

My DME reports that the N20 has revised double-layer sides, which should help with the eye leakage compared to the N10, which I had also tried and rejected for the same reason.

RE: Medium Whisp Nasal Mask Alternatives? - silversnore - 05-24-2017

Have you looked at the Circadiance masks? They are made from soft-cloth products and it seems people that have sensitivity problems rave about them. I have never used one but it may be worth taking a look. Some suppliers offer 30 day guarantees!!

RE: Medium Whisp Nasal Mask Alternatives? - SideSleeper - 05-24-2017

I used a Wisp most of the time and wear it fairly loose. I do get a red mark on the bridge of my nose but it goes away in an hour or so. I'm retired, so don't have to show up at work with red marks!

RE: Medium Whisp Nasal Mask Alternatives? - Gideon - 05-25-2017

Have you tried pillow masks, nothing on the bridge of the nose.  I use the P10

RE: Medium Whisp Nasal Mask Alternatives? - player - 05-25-2017

(05-25-2017, 07:03 PM)bonjour Wrote: Have you tried pillow masks, nothing on the bridge of the nose.  I use the P10

Yes I started out with them. Then after a time I noticed my nostrils had become stretched and flared. I had a "pig nose". Even a friend of mine noticed. Big, open, swollen flared pig nostrils. Combined with that, my nose also became quite "bulbous".  After 6 months off the pillow masks my nose has almost returned to normal.

RE: Medium Whisp Nasal Mask Alternatives? - chigirl - 05-25-2017

I really like the Eson 2.  It is incredibly quiet.  The only drawback is that you can't wear glasses with it.  The center "bar" looks worse than it is.  You can't see it when you have the mask on-it's out of your line of site.  I'm claustrophobic and thought there was no way it would work for me, but I tried it and it did.

I tried the N20 first and it blew air into my eyes.

RE: Medium Whisp Nasal Mask Alternatives? - CB91710 - 05-29-2017

I'll +1 the P10 issue, though with me it is simply irritation. I was fine for 2 months, but started getting irritation and pimples just inside my nostrils. The CPAP creams did not help. Went to the Wisp in the "L" size and really felt that I needed something between "L" and "XL" (XL is HUGE, the "L" can fit inside of it!).
I too felt pressure on my bridge, as well as slight pressure on the sides... with some leakage.

I went back and forth between the full-face and P10 as I fought some winter colds, then back to the Wisp, but went to the S/M.
It still applies a bit of pressure to the sides of my nostrils that I don't care for, but my leakage data has dropped to zero, and for the most part, it works great.

I do have some issues when I first put it on where I feel like I'm not getting enough air, but that goes away pretty quickly.

I tried the ResMed N20, but had issues with leakage. Gave it to my wife and she likes it.

RE: Medium Whisp Nasal Mask Alternatives? - Gideon - 05-29-2017

Ask your DME or Sleep Lab if you can come in and try several masks before you buy one because you are having trouble. Some are helpful.