Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Abnormal results with different masks? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Abnormal results with different masks? (/Thread-Abnormal-results-with-different-masks)

Abnormal results with different masks? - Drucifer - 06-09-2017

I have been trying different masks as of late. The first three months I used a wisp and my results were solid. I have added the dreamwear and the p10 to my arsenal and have been messing with those for about a month. I have no issues with masks leaking or irritation with any of them, however i am getting different results and seeing different stages of sleep along with some restlessness during the night. I adjusted my autoset 10 to reflect the type of mask i am using each time. 

My question: Is it normal to have such varied results based on the method of administration with the same pressure?

Also, thank you in advance to the members, mods and administrators for being the best resource available on this topic.

RE: Abnormal results with different masks? - trish6hundred - 06-09-2017

Hi Drucifer,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for answers to your question, good luck to you with CPAP therapy.!

RE: Abnormal results with different masks? - chill - 06-09-2017

My experience has been that different types of mask need different pressure settings (around 1 - 1.5cm) to achieve the same results.  Full-face masks needs more, nasal pillows the least.

RE: Abnormal results with different masks? - Ghost1958 - 06-09-2017

Yeah changing masks will usually upset the numbers for a few days.
Especially if you haven't learned how much you need to adjust pressure for a particular mask thru trial and error.

RE: Abnormal results with different masks? - Drucifer - 06-11-2017

Yeah, i am all over the place and I have been meaning to put up my sleepyhead charts to get help tweaking the settings, however I am wondering where to start. Should I post a chart from the original mask with my prescribed settings or one of the more recent charts that reflect the months I have been messing around? Prolly original charts right? 

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

RE: Abnormal results with different masks? - Crimson Nape - 06-11-2017

Drucifer,
Since your sleep profile is based on how you have the CPAP configured, I think I'd post your current setup.

RE: Abnormal results with different masks? - Drucifer - 06-11-2017

I was messing around with autoset at the same time as I was auditioning new masks,  however I have returned to my prescribed setting of continuous pressure to "start over"  I will post the chart for that setup after I get to my desktop and figure out how to use imgur

RE: Abnormal results with different masks? - Hydrangea - 06-17-2017

I'm experiencing the same thing. My best AHI (0.0-1.2) comes from DreamWear. But I prefer the quieter P10, even though it gives me a higher AHI (1.4-3.7).

RE: Abnormal results with different masks? - sonicboom - 06-17-2017

I not only notice an increase in pressure needs for the Dreamwear over the P10 (1-1.5 cm is about right) but also a difference in apnea types.  The P10 results usually reflect more OA (Obtructive Apnea) than H (Hypopnea) while the Dreamwear shows more H than OA.  Little to 0 CA (Central Apnea) or RERA (Respiratory Effort Related Arousal) with either mask.