Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
New to CPAP - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: New to CPAP (/Thread-New-to-CPAP--18150)

New to CPAP - killmenow - 06-12-2017

Hello everyone. I've spent some time reading and I see a lot of people having issues with the masks so I don't feel quite alone. My Dr told me that my AHI was the worst he personally had ever seen so I'm anxious to get this right.

Some of my stats
Male 
AHI: 92 
Oxygen: low 80's 
Pressure: 13 
Mask: Covers the nose completely 
Machine: Resmed Air Sense 10

I don't have any issues with the mask itself. I fall asleep easily. I don't find the air flow an issue and everything seems comfortable. The problem is that no matter what I do, I always wake up with the mask off. I have no memory of doing this at all so my Dr's suggestions to "not take it off" are less than helpful. When i actually wear the mask the apneas drop to 0.

I've tried different humidity settings, no humidity at all, setting my alarm for 3am to put it back on, even wearing mittens so that i can't work the straps but night time Tim appears to be quite dexterous.

I'm exhausted and worried I'll have a heart attack before I figure this out. Anyone have any advice?

RE: New to CPAP - Marillion - 06-12-2017

Hi Tim and welcome to the forum! You've found a good place here. Try to read up as much as you can as the more knowledge you have to arm yourself the better. There is a very good Wiki on this forum.

It will get easier over time and you will get more used to the treatment. Eventually sleeping with your mask will become second nature. I would recommend you download the free Sleepyhead Software and arrange the data as shown in my signature below so that we can take a look at your data and make suggestions for you. Without actually seeing the data it is harder to make a judgment on what might be going on.

There is also an excellent mask fitting tutorial from Bonjour that you might want to read.

RE: New to CPAP - ajack - 06-12-2017

I used a chin strap over the top of the head gear as another layer of protection to nocturnal removeal. just keep making it harder.

RE: New to CPAP - Hydrangea - 06-12-2017

I'm curious as to which mask you are using. And I wonder if maybe the mask is coming off on its own.

Out of the 3 masks I use, only 1 of them stays on 100% securely, and that's the Amara View because the straps go around the base of my skull as well as on top and around the middle.

My other 2 masks slip off my head as the night goes on.

-The DreamWear slips off on its own... and the only way I've stopped that is to wear a ponytail to block the strap from rising. But I hate wearing ponytails in bed.

- The Airfit P10 straps slip off my head, too. I've stopped that by slipping the bottom strap under all of my hair, and the top strap sits at my forehead's hairline on top of my hair... like a headband.

P.S. I love your 3am alarm clock idea. Very clever! But hopefully you can get to the bottom of this.

Have you considered videoing yourself while sleeping? You could find out what is causing it to come off your face.

RE: New to CPAP - trish6hundred - 06-12-2017

Hi killmenow,

WELCOME! to the forum.!
You could try wearing your mask and using your machine during the evening as you watch tv or read, to help your body get used to it before you sleep.
Hang in there for more answers to your question and good luck to you with CPAP therapy.

RE: New to CPAP - kwhenrykerr - 06-12-2017

Video that is a great idea. It will also help if it is motion activated. You might find you also have RLS (Reatless Leg)

RE: New to CPAP - Melman - 06-12-2017

There are three AirSense 10 models, the CPAP, Elite, and Autoset. Which do you have. (It's labeled on the low right front of the machine.) I suggest you include that in your profile as it will help those advising you.

All three models have integrate humidifiers. If there is a removable clear plastic module at the end of the machine you have a humidifier.

RE: New to CPAP - sonicboom - 06-13-2017

(06-12-2017, 07:17 PM)kwhenrykerr Wrote: Video that is a great idea. 

Video can be extremely helpful.  Because of CPAP clock time drift make sure you sync the CPAP time and the video time before you start so you can see exactly what is happening on video in relation to your body movements and the CPAP data.