Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Sleeping position back or side - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Sleeping position back or side (/Thread-Sleeping-position-back-or-side)

Sleeping position back or side - Novello1234 - 06-19-2017

Hi 
I need to ask my doctor this .  When they did the sleep study I was told that my sleep  apnea is worse on my back. No apneas on my side. Do when I got my cpap machine I decided to sleep on my left or right side.  I now wonder if I am ok to sleep on my back .Does it matter how I sleep

RE: Sleeping position back or side - Crimson Nape - 06-19-2017

When you sleep, your throat muscles relax allowing your airway to collapse or become occluded. If you sleep on your back (supine), gravity has a greater effect of collapse. Sleeping on your side still allows your airway to collapse but to a lesser degree. Your CPAP should be set to allow for you to sleep on your back, especially if that was the only position that you experienced apnea.

RE: Sleeping position back or side - ajack - 06-19-2017

make sure you are getting a full auto with SD card, resmed airsense autoset or the dreamstation with full auto. The machine could be adjusted for you to sleep on your back, it's a matter of setting the pressure right. I would suggest you download the manual for your machine and sleepyhead, when you get your machine. From the links at the top of the page and post some charts when back sleeping.

RE: Sleeping position back or side - Ockrocket - 06-20-2017

Sleeping on your side is best..

And preferably your left side if you can as it also helps reduce reflux issues for those who may be prone to it.

RE: Sleeping position back or side - robysue - 06-20-2017

(06-19-2017, 09:29 PM)Novello1234 Wrote: Hi 
I need to ask my doctor this .  When they did the sleep study I was told that my sleep  apnea is worse on my back. No apneas on my side. Do when I got my cpap machine I decided to sleep on my left or right side.  I now wonder if I am ok to sleep on my back .Does it matter how I sleep

The whole point of getting a CPAP is to allow you to sleep in whatever position you are most comfortable sleeping in.

In other words, if your CPAP is set up correctly, it should prevent the apneas from occurring even if you happen to sleep on your back.

RE: Sleeping position back or side - Novello1234 - 06-20-2017

(06-20-2017, 08:43 AM)robysue Wrote:
(06-19-2017, 09:29 PM)Novello1234 Wrote: Hi 

The whole point of getting a CPAP is to allow you to sleep in whatever position you are most comfortable sleeping in.

In other words, if your CPAP is set up correctly, it should prevent the apneas from occurring even if you happen to sleep on your back.
Ok thank you everyone I had my second sleep study last night.  I am new to this .  I had my first one over month ago.  The purpose of the second one was to determine the right pressure . So last night during the sleep study I was told to sleep on my back in order to get an accurate pressure .  

I tried at home not sleeping on my back because that it is the position where I have my apneas  But I never asked anyone   after having my cpap machine if I can sleep on my back . I have the resmed  airsense for her .  The vendor is thevone who set pressure as per doctor prescription.

RE: Sleeping position back or side - Newbee2016 - 06-20-2017

Sleeping on your back is probably the most challenging in terms of airway opening size as the Uvula/soft palate tends to collapse together with the tongue. Once the cpap pressure setting can keep the airway open in that position, then the other positions won't matter.