Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Machine Placement and Hose Management - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Machine Placement and Hose Management (/Thread-Machine-Placement-and-Hose-Management)

Machine Placement and Hose Management - littlefatcat - 06-20-2017

This is probably an odd question, but I'll ask anyway. I currently have a headboard with slats on my bed where I can drape the hose above my head. My CPAP machine is on a side table. This works out fine for me. 

I am considering buying new bedroom furniture. The set I am interested in has a tall solid headboard that is too high and too solid to drape the hose. The nightstand has a lower open compartment where I could place my machine. This would put my machine just above floor level with my hose coming up along the edge of my bed. Would this work out or would the hose be bugging me as I  roll over during the night? Would it be a problem if my machine was that low? Anybody have a similar setup? Thanks?

RE: Machine Placement and Hose Management - Crimson Nape - 06-20-2017

There are several options to support your hose. One is a hose hanger whose base slides between the box springs and mattress to support a vertical rod with an elastic hose support. Try googling: "cpap hose hanger". Another option is to use a 3M removable hook to support your hose.

Having you machine below the mattress level is actually preferred to prevent "rainout" during the months when using the humidifier at higher level settings.

RE: Machine Placement and Hose Management - Crustycabs - 06-20-2017

Get yourself a coat hook and screw it into the side of the headboard at a height that works, or as suggested above, the ones with the sticky stuff require no drilling.

RE: Machine Placement and Hose Management - Kadenz - 06-20-2017

I use a cpap hose hanger. It's aluminium, very light (I take my spare one with me on my travels) and modestly priced. 

The base slips under the mattress. It's made up of thin tubes that are held together by some elasticated material that works so well it virtually assembles itself. It's quite small when disassembled and can be fitted into the electric lead compartment (along with the lead) of my AirSense 10 ResMed machine.

It's much better than draping the hose over the bedstead. It swivels when you move or turnover and doesn't drag the mask when it does so.

It's such a well-designed piece of kit. I can't imagine doing with out it.

RE: Machine Placement and Hose Management - Marillion - 06-20-2017

(06-20-2017, 11:15 AM)Kadenz Wrote: I use a cpap hose hanger. It's aluminium, very light (I take my spare one with me on my travels) and modestly priced. 

The base slips under the mattress. It's made up of thin tubes that are held together by some elasticated material that works so well it virtually assembles itself. It's quite small when disassembled and can be fitted into the electric lead compartment (along with the lead) of my AirSense 10 ResMed machine.

It's much better than draping the hose over the bedstead. It swivels when you move or turnover and doesn't drag the mask when it does so.

It's such a well-designed piece of kit. I can't imagine doing with out it.

Exactly what I use also.  I wouldn't want to be without mine and use it whenever I travel/sleep away from home.

RE: Machine Placement and Hose Management - Homerec130 - 06-20-2017

If the new headboard will be too high, you can always use an elastic strap from the attachment point to the hose. It would also give you a little extra play when moving. I currently use a 10 foot hose without any ill effects.

I have a hose buddy that fits between the mattress and box spring. I have it attached to the headboard with one of those wire units you find at Home Depot or Lowes or any other hardware store. Works like a champ. Oh, and I put a cover on my tubing because my youngest 4 legged kids found the hose was good to nibble on. They don't like the cover.

Homer

RE: Machine Placement and Hose Management - littlefatcat - 06-20-2017

Great ideas! Thanks!

RE: Machine Placement and Hose Management - PaytonA - 06-20-2017

My machine is about 4" off the floor and my hose goes up to the top of a drawer in a small dresser which puts it at about the level of my head. I run it through a loop which is held in place by being trapped by the top of the drawer and the top of its opening. I have no problem with the hose but that is me.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

RE: Machine Placement and Hose Management - CB91710 - 06-20-2017

Another +1 for the Hose Buddy.
I keep my machine on the stand, so it's level with the top of the mattress. I steady the stand by putting the platform under the machine.
I removed one of the vertical sections. This holds the hose nicely to allow condensation to drain back into the reservoir... or into the mask, but there is not a "loop" of hose below the level of my head so it doesn't collect and end up gurgling like it did my first week.

RE: Machine Placement and Hose Management - Gary1of2 - 06-21-2017

I leave my machine on nite stand which is about 6 inches lower than mattress. All i do is route the hose under my rite arm and i am fine