Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[CPAP] Sudden Increase in Pressure - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [CPAP] Sudden Increase in Pressure (/Thread-CPAP-Sudden-Increase-in-Pressure)

Sudden Increase in Pressure - CPAPGuy - 06-28-2017

Hello Apnea Board,

This is my first post here.

Medical History:
I have a medical history of airway/tracheal problems since birth which involves complete airway reconstruction. I have had many surgeries in India and the in Switzerland. I was again recently operated for a surgery of trachea as well as larynx. The doctor told me to use CPAP as I was diagnosed with sleep apnea as my base of my tongue is heavy and it falls back as soon as I sleep  and it creates breathing distress. 

Began CPAP:
During post operation period(April 2017) my pressure was around 8-9.5 and rarely touching 10. I used a Remstar System One.
My AHI was around 0.2 - 0.4 which is perfect. 

A polysomnography test detected an AHI of 2.1, to whih my doctor was also shocked buyt he said to continue use CPAP irrespective of the polysomnography results as I have compromised airway still after the surgery, and it will be bad for my airway If i sleep withou CPAP as I will suck air and It will create negative pressure inside

I returned back to India from Switzerland and purchased AirSense 10 w/ Humidifier and ClimateLineAir

From 1st week of May to Mid May:

Mask: Airfit P10 Pillows
AHI: 0.1-0.4
Pressure: Same as above.

Mid May to Till Date:

AHI: 0.1-0.4
Mask: Philips Respironics Wisp Nasal
Pressure: 13-15

I dont know why there has been sudden increase in my pressure. Is it due to the change in Mask. Also I am getting significant major leaks with Wisp Mask.

Kindly help me!

RE: Sudden Increase in Pressure - OpalRose - 06-28-2017

It is typical to need a little higher pressure with a nasal mask compared to a nasal pillow mask, but that may not be the only reason why your pressure would increase.

Did you change the setting on your Cpap from nasal pillow mask to nasal?

Why did you switch to the Wisp?   If you like it better, you will have to get the leaks under control.  You could try nasal liners as some say that helps.

When you get a few more posts in, post a screenshot of you data.  Follow the tutorials in my signature line.

RE: Sudden Increase in Pressure - trish6hundred - 06-29-2017

Hi CPAPGuy,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You need to change your mask settings from pillows to nasal.
Good luck to you with CPAP therapy.

RE: Sudden Increase in Pressure - CPAPGuy - 09-09-2017

(06-28-2017, 12:30 PM)OpalRose Wrote: It is typical to need a little higher pressure with a nasal mask compared to a nasal pillow mask, but that may not be the only reason why your pressure would increase.

Did you change the setting on your Cpap from nasal pillow mask to nasal?

Why did you switch to the Wisp?   If you like it better, you will have to get the leaks under control.  You could try nasal liners as some say that helps.

When you get a few more posts in, post a screenshot of you data.  Follow the tutorials in my signature line.

(06-29-2017, 04:47 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi CPAPGuy,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You need to change your mask settings from pillows to nasal.
Good luck to you with CPAP therapy.

Thank you for your replies!

Yes I changed the mask setting from Pillows to Nasal before switching. It has been around more than 3 months using Airsense 10 and my average pressure is constant around 12-12.5. So as long as it stays constant, I am happy.

Once again thank you

Stay Healthy