Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Anyone pre heat ttheir humidifier water before use? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Anyone pre heat ttheir humidifier water before use? (/Thread-Anyone-pre-heat-ttheir-humidifier-water-before-use)

Pages: 1 2

Anyone pre heat ttheir humidifier water before use? - CPAPreturnee - 07-12-2017

I have been zapping the humidifier water for 30 seconds before pouring into tank, to cut time humidifier heater has to work heating water.
Anyone else do this, or bad idea as it screws up the CPAP machine settings for humidifier sensor software?

RE: Anyone pre heat ttheir humidifier water before use? - OpalRose - 07-12-2017

I use the preheat function only because I can't tolerate cold air blowing in my nose.

Don't know if what you are doing makes a difference. I've heard of some that put
ice cubes in the tank because they want colder air.

RE: Anyone pre heat ttheir humidifier water before use? - MitchS - 07-12-2017

I use the preheat setting on my device when using a FFM. I find it's not necessary to preheat the humidifier when using a nasal pillow mask. The cooler air that comes through the FFM before the humidifier heats up bothers me.

I don't see how what you are doing would hurt anything.

RE: Anyone pre heat ttheir humidifier water before use? - Beej - 07-12-2017

I just fill with warm tap water if I want it to start off warm.

RE: Anyone pre heat ttheir humidifier water before use? - CB91710 - 07-12-2017

We used to use the pre-heat, but I find it much more comfortable for the air to be cooler when I first go to sleep, particularly on warmer evenings but when the AC is not running.
I also have to keep an oscillating fan going if it's anywhere near being above 70.

RE: Anyone pre heat ttheir humidifier water before use? - CPAPreturnee - 07-13-2017

Last night I did NOT preheat the water and this morning the water level dropped to 75% level.  I guess preheating must make the cpap machine think water is hot and does not turn on heater, water cools off over night and does not evaporate, so level remains at about 100% level.

Guess trying to be smart and get warm air at start doesn't work.  Go figure.

RE: Anyone pre heat ttheir humidifier water before use? - Homerec130 - 07-13-2017

Neither one of us preheats the water. However, in AZ during the summer months you can turn on the cold tap and get hot water. We usually use the bottled water from the cooler which comes out cold. 

Homer

RE: Anyone pre heat ttheir humidifier water before use? - summersolstice - 07-16-2017

I really haven't been able to feel the benefit, even with my new heated hose.

RE: Anyone pre heat ttheir humidifier water before use? - Gary1of2 - 07-17-2017

You might not feel the benifets from a heated hose. The heated hose helps with rainout. It keeps the humidity in the hose from returning back to water.

RE: Anyone pre heat ttheir humidifier water before use? - SarcasticDave94 - 08-27-2017

I don't really think it's an issue to pour warm water in tank. Or ice cubes for that matter. Now very hot water may be a different story. And I've not done this, not that I wouldn't (warm water), just haven't. My water goes in room temperature. And yes I preheat mine always. At least since the first night when I forgot to do so. Too cold then for me.