Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Melatonin - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Melatonin (/Thread-Melatonin)

Pages: 1 2

Melatonin - Judy1843 - 07-16-2017

I occasionally use 2 mg of Melatonin to help me fall asleep. What are your thoughts on using this.
Thanks!

RE: Melatonin - justMongo - 07-16-2017

I've used it. My personal opinion is that 2 mg is too much. Use the lowest strength you can obtain.
Since melatonin is produced naturally, keep the room as dark as possible; and avoid looking at computer, phone and TV screens in the hour before bed time.

My iPhone has a feature that lessens the blue light at sunset. There is a similar program available for windows computers.

RE: Melatonin - DavePaulson - 07-16-2017

(07-16-2017, 07:40 AM)justMongo Wrote: My iPhone has a feature that lessens the blue light at sunset.  There is a similar program available for windows computers.

Windows 10 has it built in, Go to display settings and turn on night light.

RE: Melatonin - GrammaBear - 07-16-2017

(07-16-2017, 11:02 AM)DavePaulson Wrote:
(07-16-2017, 07:40 AM)justMongo Wrote: My iPhone has a feature that lessens the blue light at sunset.  There is a similar program available for windows computers.

I have the ancient Windows 7 and I'm wondering if there is any such setting for night time viewing as is mentioned above?

I also use Melatonin and I had a doctor tell me not to use any more than 9 mg at any given time.

RE: Melatonin - DavePaulson - 07-16-2017

(07-16-2017, 12:12 PM)GrammaBear Wrote:
(07-16-2017, 11:02 AM)DavePaulson Wrote:

I have the ancient Windows 7 and I'm wondering if there is any such setting for night time viewing as is mentioned above?

I also use Melatonin and I had a doctor tell me not to use any more than 9 mg at any given time.

Google "f.lux" you can get it for free.

RE: Melatonin - OMyMyOHellYes - 07-16-2017

Melatonin, except in very high doses (like 10 mg), has never done much for me. But then, it is not usually GOING to sleep, but the STAYING asleep part I have trouble with. And I think even the higher doses wear off after a few hours so I'm right back to the start.

OMMOHY

RE: Melatonin - quiescence at last - 07-16-2017

I thought melatonin might help but in my case, I have way to much not to little.   No change in my numbers but got delirium so I stopped it.

QAL

RE: Melatonin - summersolstice - 07-16-2017

I never felt Melatonin was effective for me.

RE: Melatonin - sptrout - 07-16-2017

We have found that melatonin can help, but we especially like sustained release brands. The one have been taking for many months now is 3 mg released over 6 hours or so. You can find at least one brand on the Internet; can't say that I have ever seen a sustained release version at a drug store. I have also received mailings from another company that has a dual release pill (.3 milligrams IR, and a second similar release 6 hours later). It is much more expensive that the sustained release that we use so we have not tried the dual release brand.

RE: Melatonin - justMongo - 07-16-2017

Very short term use of things like Ambien or Lunesta can help. Don't take long term as it has a very deep hook.