Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Nasal mask - air popping out of mouth rythmically - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Nasal mask - air popping out of mouth rythmically (/Thread-Nasal-mask-air-popping-out-of-mouth-rythmically)

Nasal mask - air popping out of mouth rythmically - DanPrado - 07-16-2017

Sorry for the awkward subject line not sure how else to describe what is happening - been using nasal masks for almost 2 years and lately I catch myself having a mouth gasp (as in a small amount of air popping out of it for 1 second) on a regular cycle, hard to tell when one is half asleep but maybe once per minute?

Doesn't happen every night and when it happens its not for the night, but lets say 4x a week and lasts 1+ hours.

Annoying to my wife, dries the mouth, really awkward.  Mainly if I am on my back.

My pressures are pretty low and AHI with treatment is usually below 2.  Nothing seems different there.

Any thoughts appreciated.

RE: Nasal mask - air popping out of mouth rythmically - Gary1of2 - 07-16-2017

Try a ful face mask and it might help. It helped me.

RE: Nasal mask - air popping out of mouth rythmically - chill - 07-16-2017

I have odd things like this happen if I am on my back too.  "easy" solution - don't sleep on your back.  The cause, I think, is that your tongue slips back and looses the seal with the roof of your mouth allowing the pressure into your mouth.  This pops out your lips, alerts your brain, and it pulls your tongue forward.  Repeat and repeat.

RE: Nasal mask - air popping out of mouth rythmically - DanPrado - 07-17-2017

(07-16-2017, 11:12 PM)chill Wrote: I have odd things like this happen if I am on my back too.  "easy" solution - don't sleep on your back.  The cause, I think, is that your tongue slips back and looses the seal with the roof of your mouth allowing the pressure into your mouth.  This pops out your lips, alerts your brain, and it pulls your tongue forward.  Repeat and repeat.

That makes sense, thanks.

RE: Nasal mask - air popping out of mouth rythmically - ajack - 07-17-2017

If your tongue or soft palate is going back and causing an obstruction, causing an mouth exhale. I would think you need more minimum pressure. If you are just mouth breathing, that's another issue.
either way your ahi is under 2, so it would only be if you think it is arousing you from sleep. That you need to do anything.

RE: Nasal mask - air popping out of mouth rythmically - DanPrado - 07-18-2017

This is helpful - my gut reaction before posting this thread would have been to reduce pressure thinking that it was so high it needed to skip through my mouth as an overflow valve.

So I will try increasing pressure, makes more sense now - THANKS folks!

RE: Nasal mask - air popping out of mouth rythmically - silversnore - 07-18-2017

I too use a pillows mask and have the occasional mouth leak. There are several methods to rectify, chin straps, foam neck braces, tape, etc. I find that the tongue suck method helps me, you simply put your tongue behind your front teeth and on the roof of your mouth and suck to create negative pressure. If you practice enough you can train your mouth to stay closed. Takes awhile, but worth the practice. I could not deal with a ffm.