Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Please help - ICON vs S9 settings - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Please help - ICON vs S9 settings (/Thread-Please-help-ICON-vs-S9-settings)

Pages: 1 2

Please help - ICON vs S9 settings - yankees123 - 07-17-2017

I have been using apap for over a year and a half. I have been using F&p icon auto with setting 8-15. Doing ok with leaks and ahi usual range 2.0 and below.  
Recently purchased a Resmed s9 autoset originally I purchased it for travel buy after reading a lot it seems like the s9 has a much better algorithm so decided to use it full time 
It has been two weeks and I've never had low ahi's sometimes get 0.0.  The only problem is my 95 percent pressure is 15.  With my icon usual pressure around 9.0.
I don't feel the high pressure but don't know if need high pressure setting .
Can there really by such a difference between two machines ?  What should I do.  
Sorry for the long thread and many thanks.

RE: Please help - DavePaulson - 07-17-2017

Congrats on the improvement. Are you looking at your sleepy head data? You could post a couple of charts.

Dave

RE: Please help - justMongo - 07-17-2017

ResMed's algorithm is quick to attack. That is to say it raises pressure more aggressively. I would not be surprised to see it run up higher.
ResMed is more reactive to snoring and flow limitation in an effort to head off OSA.

You say "...my 95 percent pressure is 15." That means you were at 15 for 5% of the time.
"...With my icon usual pressure around 9.0." You may also be comparing apples and oranges if the ICON is reporting median pressure.
To visualize this, look at your pressure in a sleepyhead graph.
ResMed is more reactive to snoring and flow limitation in an effort to head off OSA.

RE: Please help - yankees123 - 07-17-2017

My pressure is 15 , 95 percent of the time. 
My question is does that mean I need to go higher with the pressure settings since it is already at the maximum?

RE: Please help - PaulaO2 - 07-17-2017

Not necessarily. Look at the graphs. Does it hit 15 and then sit there for extended periods? Or does it tap it?

You could, of course, increase it to 16 and observe the data for a week.

RE: Please help - Crimson Nape - 07-17-2017

yankees123,
I would say so.  If you're hitting your maximum programmed pressure, then the machine doesn't have anywhere to go to provide any additional support.  With that said,  if it is your S9 we're talking about and not the F&P Icon you have listed, then your flow limitations may be driving it to the highest pressure. To test this theory, try setting the EPR to 3 and see if that reduces your required pressure.

RE: Please help - justMongo - 07-17-2017

I'm more aligned with what Paula said. I limit my upper pressure to less than my machine might like to take.
If the S9 is only hitting the max of 15 for 5% of the night; and the AHI is very good, this seems like a case of: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

RE: Please help - ICON vs S9 settings - yankees123 - 07-17-2017

So sorry maybe wasn't clear.  My 95 percent pressure reading is 15 .  Same as my max pressure.

RE: Please help - ICON vs S9 settings - yankees123 - 07-17-2017

By the way I would like to change on my profile the machine and mask I use, please let me know how to do that.

RE: Please help - ICON vs S9 settings - Crimson Nape - 07-17-2017

Look in the upper right of the web page for "UserCP", short for User Control Panel. Scroll down the left side until you find, "Edit Profile".