Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Paying out of pocket for new machine -- what Rx for most flexibility? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Paying out of pocket for new machine -- what Rx for most flexibility? (/Thread-Paying-out-of-pocket-for-new-machine-what-Rx-for-most-flexibility)

Pages: 1 2

Paying out of pocket for new machine -- what Rx for most flexibility? - NotADr - 08-05-2017

Hello everyone -- I'm a complete newbie and am really looking forward to better sleep!  I have an appointment with my pulmonologist in a few days to discuss the results of my titration but I'm already sure that he will prescribe a cpap machine, and I haven't used one before.  I'll be paying for this out of pocket and skip the insurance hassles.  Thanks to this helpful forum I've already decided I want an apap -- and am looking at either the AirSense 10 AutoSet, the System One Auto or the Dreamstation Auto.  I'll buy it from one of the online vendors and not use a DME.

1)  Assuming the doc won't mind, what is the broadest way for him to write the Rx -- should I ask him to just prescribe an APAP along with the pressure settings and maybe an EPR setting?  Will the online vendors allow me to choose any apap?  I'm guessing they will but want to confirm.  The reason I don't want to select a specific model is that I might buy a second machine that is smaller and better suited for travel than the ones currently offered for sale if newer models with humidification are offered in the future, and I'd rather not return to the doc for a second Rx.

2)  What is the best response if the doc asks why I want an apap instead of a cpap?  From reading this forum I know I'd love to have the apap but is that a sensitive issue for any of the docs?  For example, is there a chance he might say that based on the results of my titration, he already knows what the optimal pressure settings should be?

Thanks in advance for any insights!

RE: Paying out of pocket for new machine -- what Rx for most flexibility? - Sleeprider - 08-05-2017

Supplier #1 has an online prescription template that is not too bad. Any prescription simply needs to specify "Auto CPAP with heated humidifier, heated hose, mask and supplies by patient choice". The prescription may or may not call out pressure settings. It would help to include "refillable for 99 years" or similar lifetime allowance. Be sure to keep copies (electronic and paper) of the prescription and sleep studies.

FYI, on Amazon there is an Airsense 10 Autoset for $455 described as BRAND NEW Air Sense 10 Auto Set Machine with Humid Air Heated Humidifier, BedSide Organizer, carry case, power supply (works in any country of the world), standard hose. 2-years of complete in-house warranty. Units are shipped from USA. Any and all customs fees are buyer's responsibility.

Also a Philips Dreamstation auto DSX500T11 for $369. Either machine could be obtained immediately without having your prescription in hand.

Either of the above options will cost you less, and include a warranty. Using one of the online suppliers in our supplier list will get you better service and assistance if needed, but at significantly higher price. Good luck with the new machine.

RE: Paying out of pocket for new machine -- what Rx for most flexibility? - Crimson Nape - 08-05-2017

Hi NotADr - Welcome

Here is a link to a bunch of information for your new treatment:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=New_to_Apnea%3F_Helpful_tips_to_ensure_success

RE: Paying out of pocket for new machine -- what Rx for most flexibility? - big_dave - 08-05-2017

(08-05-2017, 08:47 PM)NotADr Wrote: Will the online vendors allow me to choose any apap? 

You can purchase any APAP from an online vendor with either an APAP pressure range or a CPAP fixed pressure.

(08-05-2017, 08:47 PM)NotADr Wrote: What is the best response if the doc asks why I want an apap instead of a cpap?  

I would say explain your reasons to the doctor but drop the issue if he insists that you use CPAP fixed pressure. Since the APAP is also capable of providing fixed pressure, you have the opportunity to try both to see which works best for you. Request your CPAP setup manual from Apnea Board from the link at the top of the page, so you can change your pressure and therapy mode as you like. Also download Sleepyhead so you can monitor your own treatment.

RE: Paying out of pocket for new machine -- what Rx for most flexibility? - NotADr - 08-05-2017

(08-05-2017, 09:09 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Supplier #1 has an online prescription template that is not too bad.  Any prescription simply needs to specify "Auto CPAP with heated humidifier, heated hose, mask and supplies by patient choice".  The prescription may or may not call out pressure settings.  It would help to include "refillable for 99 years" or similar lifetime allowance.  Be sure to keep copies (electronic and paper) of the prescription and sleep studies.

Thanks -- that template looks perfect to me -- the less restrictive, the better.

(08-05-2017, 09:11 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Hi NotADr - Welcome

Here is a link to a bunch of information for your new treatment:

Much appreciated!   I didn't see that wiki earlier and it is helpful.

RE: Paying out of pocket for new machine -- what Rx for most flexibility? - NotADr - 08-05-2017

(08-05-2017, 09:32 PM)big_dave Wrote:
(08-05-2017, 08:47 PM)NotADr Wrote: What is the best response if the doc asks why I want an apap instead of a cpap?  
Since the APAP is also capable of providing fixed pressure, you have the opportunity to try both to see which works best for you. 

Thanks Dave.  That's all I can think of to say but if there are other reasons to add that might be helpful, I'm all ears!  My doc is a younger guy and hopefully open to patients who want to self-help.

RE: Paying out of pocket for new machine -- what Rx for most flexibility? - trish6hundred - 08-06-2017

Hi NotADr,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with CPAP therapy.

RE: Paying out of pocket for new machine -- what Rx for most flexibility? - Mosquitobait - 08-06-2017

The online retailers are not all that picky. My cousin just got a machine and her script just said cpap with a straight pressure and she had no problem getting an Airsense Auto for Her (Yes, it was set to straight pressure as per prescription, but she changed it herself when she got unit). You can't get a bilevel machine with that script, but you do have a choice over either cpap or apap since apap has a cpap function. You are not cheating.

RE: Paying out of pocket for new machine -- what Rx for most flexibility? - lashlock - 08-07-2017

FYI:  You can find lots of CPAP machines on Craigslist for very cheap prices.  I suggest  buying a new hose and mask and to put a new filter on the machine but you can save money this way.

RE: Paying out of pocket for new machine -- what Rx for most flexibility? - Sleeprider - 08-08-2017

Currently a Airsense 10 Autoset # 37207 listed on Amazon for $478...better hurry.