Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Defeated by doctor - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Defeated by doctor (/Thread-Defeated-by-doctor)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Defeated by doctor - Tess - 08-07-2017

On day 41 of using CPAP every night, I saw the doctor for a follow-up this afternoon.

He said:

My apnea is perfectly under control, from severe to a current average AHI of 2.16.

Whatever tiredness, depression, irritation I am experiencing has nothing to do with the machine or mask.  There must be other causes to account for those things, none of which he will address. 

I will not feel any better if I use the mask for 3 months or 6 months or 1 year. That I felt better before I started CPAP doesn't mean anything. The tiredness is from something else. 

I must walk, diet and lose weight, he said repeatedly.  Why won't I do that? he asked.  Because I'm tired, I said.

I said I believed, from reading the literature and talking to him earlier, that I was going to feel rested and refreshed at some point. No answer. 

By the end of the appointment, I was in tears and he walked out of the room without a word.

I will not be seeing this doctor again.  Will I continue using CPAP?  I don't know.  With no encouragement, no decent explanations from the doctor, I don't know why I should continue. 

Also, my DME only gives bar charts of data.  I said I would like to see the ECG-type results some of you post.  He said those are not available with any CPAP machines.  That's only recorded during sleep studies.

RE: Defeated by doctor - justMongo - 08-07-2017

OK, let's start with which Airsense 10 machine you have. Look lower-right on the machine for a word like CPAP or Autoset or...
(Airsense 10 is a family of machines) If it says CPAP, it may not be fully data capable.

There are other conditions that can make people tired. If the doc of whom you speak is a "sleep doc" then he'll not go any further.
Depending on your age and other conditions. Start with your primary doc and get a FULL blood panel, including thyroid T4.
Medications can zap the energy from a person. Especially some high blood pressure meds -- like beta blockers. If you are on any; discuss them with the prescribing doc to see what alternatives are available. (Note: do not discontinue any med without running it by your prescribing doctor.)

I don't know your age; nor would I ask. But, if you are in an age for possible cardiac conditions; get a cardiac workup.

How are your blood sugars? Borderline diabetic or diabetic? Poor glucose control can zap your energy.

RE: Defeated by doctor - pholynyk - 08-07-2017

Tess, it took me a good six months before I really started feeling better. One day I noticed that I was answering "Pretty good!" instead of "Not too bad." when people said "How are you?" And I was still overweight (still am...) I had been sleep deprived, to an increasing degree, for ten years, so it was no wonder it took half a year to feel better.

The charts some of us post come from a free, downloadable program called SleepyHead. It is available through a link at the top of the page. They don't use EEG data, rather the data come from our machines. I don't recall you mentioning which AirSense 10 model you have; as long as it is not the 'Escape', you can see this data and learn to use it to make you feel better after sleeping. There are many people here who will help you, never fear.

RE: Defeated by doctor - Tess - 08-07-2017

Thanks, Mongo.  Everything you say is appropriate and presented in a way I wish the doctor had used.

My machine says CPAP.

I am 66, have diabetes on the low end (doctor is happy with my A1C), will get a full blood panel in two weeks, no blood pressure meds. I am overweight but not obese. Thyroid has been tested before with negative results. I feel fine though more tired and irritable than before CPAP.  None of my medical stuff has changed in that time. Had a cardiac work-up three years ago and everything was fine. 

Somewhere I got the notion that CPAP was going to make me feel even better than I did before.  I know it protects the heart and that should be reason enough, but I did not anticipate feeling worse than before. Maybe CPAP and feeling icky are just an unfortunate coincidence.

RE: Defeated by doctor - AlanE - 08-07-2017

If it makes you feel any better, I weigh more now than when I started with CPAP. I wouldn't take what 'Dr. Bonehead' said too seriously. Unfortunately, to him you're just a bill he submits to the insurance company to get paid. It's your life, not his. Definitely shop around. You'll find one that at least seems to care. Like above, it took me a while to start feeling better.

Pholy, this is why I am confused.  The doctor very clearly said that time is not a factor in feeling better.  Like if you don't feel great now, you're never going to feel better.  Not great motivation.

I now have a SD card from the doctor's office.  The DME did not provide one. I bought an SD card not realizing it was just for photos, so it did not produce any data. Ha.  I have a CPAP machine, not the other kind, so I may not be able to get those wiggly lines. 

I will just have to get over the unpleasant doctor, but, man, talk about crushing someone's spirit.

RE: Defeated by doctor - Gary1of2 - 08-07-2017

Its taking me about 3 months to start noticing a differance in tired feeling. Its getting better day by day.

It does make me feel better, AlanE.  When I got home, I ate a pint of ice cream. Smile

I'm glad!

RE: Defeated by doctor - SarcasticDave94 - 08-07-2017

Hi Tess and Welcome

Unfortunately some doctors are not as helpful as others. I have a pulmonary doctor similar to yours. When I weighed 300 pounds and was preparing for bariatric stomach surgery; Doc was like you don't need that, your weight is OK. Now at 201, doc notes I should lose more weight as it is a problem. Hmm? I, like you, was so fatigued all the time that exercise was not an option. Recently, I asked if I were a candidate for supplemental oxygen because of COPD; instead of oxygen saturation is X so the answer is no; doc says you don't want to look like an old person so I don't recommend oxygen.

I suggest what I'm about to do myself; get another doctor. There are better physicians out there than these two Ducks. Ducks go quack by the way. Best to ya on finding better care.