Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[Equipment] Dreamstation GO DC input? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [Equipment] Dreamstation GO DC input? (/Thread-Equipment-Dreamstation-GO-DC-input)

Pages: 1 2

Dreamstation GO DC input? - OMyMyOHellYes - 08-08-2017

Dreamstation Go - looks at first like a very attractive PAP machine.

But looking at pictures I don't see a normal DC power input?  In the pics I've been able to find online, when you pop the hood, only the AC input to the internal transformer with a little slot to the left which I assume is the power connection for the battery pack?  Is there no independent input for external DC power?

I also googleated "Dreamstation GO DC power cord" and didn't really get any returns.  Lots of Dreamstation cords, but nada zip nothing for the GO.

Anybody that has the machine or played with one confirm?  T'would seem like a HUGE oversight on PR's part to make a travel CPAP machine that you can't hook up to the power supply in your travel machine (car/truck/camper/boat).  Or an intentional move that was almost as high on the "Screw Your Customerometer" scale as ResMed requiring their power brick.

OMMOHY

RE: Dreamstation GO DC input? - mltam - 08-10-2017

I had exactly the same question, and contacted philips. Here's their answer:
--
You can charge off of DC using a DC/AC power inverter. The inverter needs to be 150W or greater with an AC voltage output of 100-240 volts. We do not have a DC cord for this device. We would suggesting using the AC plug that comes with the device and plugging it into an inverter with the specifications listed above.
--
So, if I understand correctly, the GO can be only charged using AC power. I think this is a major oversight.

RE: Dreamstation GO DC input? - OMyMyOHellYes - 08-10-2017

Major oversight? Total product design fail.

They take one of the things that separates them from ResMed and makes them a superior machine in marketplace offerings - and they screw it up.

Inverter my fanny!

OMMOHY

RE: Dreamstation GO DC input? - Fats Drywaller - 11-27-2018

(08-08-2017, 06:32 AM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: Dreamstation Go - looks at first like a very attractive PAP machine.

But looking at pictures I don't see a normal DC power input?  In the pics I've been able to find online, when you pop the hood, only the AC input to the internal transformer with a little slot to the left which I assume is the power connection for the battery pack?  Is there no independent input for external DC power?

That is so annoying of Philips.  Howls of derisive laughter to their instructions to "Use an inverter."  A note, and a question.  Note:  The DC power from the DS Go $300 battery pack is 24V, just in case you hadn't checked the user's guide.  (It's in the specs at the end: 18 to 24.6 VDC, I assume starting at 24.6 fully charged and being depleted to 18, where the DS Go switches off from undervoltage.)  Question:  Do you still have any of those photos or links to them or even a memory of where you found them?  Thanks. I know they're not detailed enough for my purposes, but I'm curious anyway.

I'm interested in figuring out how to connect a DS Go (which I haven't bought yet and may or may not eventually buy) to any arbitrary 3rd-party battery pack, probably via the BPS 12-to-24 DC-DC converter, which is not only for Resmed machines but also for anything that needs 24V; other cable included by BPS.  Of course it's all down to the type of (recessed) DC connector inside the back of the DS Go, and whether that is purely proprietary (which would figure) or whether some off-the-shelf connector will fit it.  I'll bet they didn't label the polarity either.

The BPS converter isn't needed if the 3rd-party battery can put out 24V, but the only ones I've seen that can do that are low-capacity that wouldn't last 8 hours.  Two 12V batteries in series would do it, though.

This connector-conspiracy stuff is all very silly of the manufacturers.

RE: Dreamstation GO DC input? - Fats Drywaller - 11-28-2018

Oops, I was forgetting about image search.  Here's one.  It looks like the battery's output must be via the two metal rails at the bottom ... rather unusual and nonstandard, I guess.

As a cynical consumerdroid, I also can't help thinking that if the DS Go's $300 battery pack is actually worth about $75 at retail (which it is, judging by many third-party products that are similar although not plug-compatible), that runs the risk of getting the patients/victims thinking "Hmmm, I wonder whether the same is true of the $900 DS Go machine itself", which would make it worth $225 at retail, which seems very probable.

RE: Dreamstation GO DC input? - pholynyk - 11-28-2018

Looking just at that picture, my guess would be that the 'battery pack' also contains an inverter which outputs through the regular AC connector...

I think that connector is a dummy. The manual says the battery puts out 24VDC.

RE: Dreamstation GO DC input? - pholynyk - 11-28-2018

You could well be right; it could be just a locator-aid or part of the fastening mechanism... I hadn't thought of that.

Looking at that photo again, I think I was imagining things earlier (bad eyesight) and what I thought were metal rails are just shadows on the edges of the plastic latches at the bottom. If the Philips battery does use the same power jack as the AC cord, that means that the DS Go's power-supply circuitry handles either low-voltage DC or high-voltage AC on the same pair of conductors, and switches accordingly between transformer & rectifier or none ... is that crazy and unheard of? I've never seen that before.

Does anyone who owns a Dreamstation Go (possibly with the battery pack) want to settle the mystery for us? Smile Thanks if so.

RE: Dreamstation GO DC input? - Nashty - 06-26-2019

I have a go with the battery.  The battery stopped working too.  I am a truck driver, so my inverter likes to drain my truck battery (not that much really) now that the battery wont work.  Very annoying.

Anyways, connectors...it has an A/C passthrough and an 8 pin Molex Micro Fit 3.0 without the lock.  If it was working I could give you the pin outs.  I may take it apart if they don't replace it for me.