Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[Equipment] Machine Choices? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [Equipment] Machine Choices? (/Thread-Equipment-Machine-Choices)

Pages: 1 2

Machine Choices? - CTcentrals - 08-13-2017

I had replied to an older thread in a different category without realizing it (I'm going apneaboard-blind I think). So, I'm re-posting here.

Bonjur: "We, for common issues, recommend an Auto BiPap/BiLevel"
Others: See the thread by Archangle on machine choices. (that doesn't address bilevel machines directly).

My wife has just got on medicare and now she has to go in Tuesday and probably get new machine as her's is five years old. Current machine is PR S1 REMstar Auto A-flex. I have printed rx samples for AirSense™ 10 AutoSet™ For Her and PR Dreamstation Auto.  Choices made from reading forum and Archangle article. She started with a F&P CPAP in 2005 (duct tape was falling apart) and got the PR S1 in 2011.  

Are my machine choices considered APAP vs Auto Bipap?
Is the new choices article up kept up to date?

RE: Machine Choices? - Mosquitobait - 08-13-2017

None of these are bipap. Medicare requires you to already be on a bipap prior to getting Medicare OR to fail a cpap before they will let you have a bipap due to the added cost of these machines. Both of the machines you have listed are great auto-machines - top of the pack. If, however, your wife requires a pressure greater than 20, then she automatically qualifies for a bipap as cpap/apap only go to 20.

RE: Machine Choices? - CTcentrals - 08-14-2017

Thanks, Mosquitobait.  There doesn't seem to be any reason why she would need pressure that high.

ct

RE: Machine Choices? - Sleeprider - 08-14-2017

The Dreamstation DSX500T11 will provide very similar therapy to her current PRS1 Auto. The only difference is that the new machine now provides data on RERA and supports the heated hose. This machine operates in CPAP or Auto CPAP mode and uses AFlex pressure relief for a maximum of 2-cm momentary pressure reduction at the inhale/exhale transition.

Opting for a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset or Autoset for Her provides a different exhale relief algorithm that more closely resembles bilevel with true IPAP and EPAP pressure with up to 3 cm difference. Both Autosets currently provide full efficacy data including RERA, and both have the Autoset Standard and Soft response algorithm. The For Her adds a third auto algorithm.

Thanks, Palerider, I appreciate the clarifying technical information.

ct

Dang!  I meant Sleeprider!  Oh-jeez

RE: Machine Choices? - Sleeprider - 08-15-2017

I am rarely confused for Palerider, but no problem.   Dont-know

RE: Machine Choices? - JeffT - 08-21-2017

(08-14-2017, 10:43 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: The Dreamstation DSX500T11 will provide very similar therapy to her current PRS1 Auto.  The only difference is that the new machine now provides data on RERA and supports the heated hose.  This machine operates in CPAP or Auto CPAP mode and uses AFlex pressure relief for a maximum of 2-cm momentary pressure reduction at the inhale/exhale transition.

Opting for a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset or Autoset for Her provides a different exhale relief algorithm that more closely resembles bilevel with true IPAP and EPAP pressure with up to 3 cm difference. Both Autosets currently provide full efficacy data including RERA, and both have the Autoset Standard and Soft response algorithm. The For Her adds a third auto algorithm.

I've been on a one month trial with an Airsense 10 Autoset, and today purchased my first machine, and Autoset for Her. I had a small nap with it, and when I loaded the data into SleepyHead it isn't showing any figures for RERA - is this a firmware update issue? Any thoughts?

RE: Machine Choices? - JeffT - 08-21-2017

Just looked up the SW - Device SW number is SX567-0306.

RE: Machine Choices? - Gideon - 08-21-2017

(08-13-2017, 12:24 PM)CTcentrals Wrote: Bonjur: "We, for common issues, recommend an Auto BiPap/BiLevel"
Others: See the thread by Archangle on machine choices. (that doesn't address bilevel machines directly).
Sorry, I was typing too fast I meant to say Auto CPAP / AutoSet.  

I graduated to a bipap and i use an Auto CPAP as a backup.  Just a brain fart, sorry.

Fred