Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
What's happening?? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: What's happening?? (/Thread-What-s-happening)

Pages: 1 2

What's happening?? - tedgreen - 08-14-2017

Hi,

Please see below screenshot from SleepyHead:

[Image: J9XWwWR.png]

Lots of events in a short duration. 

However, average AHI over the last 30 days is only 1.22.

My Resmed Airsense 10 is set on slow response, as fast response was making the AHI worse. Higher pressure (e.g. more than 10) was making the AHI worse. EPR of 1 or 2 seems to make AHI better.

Anybody got an explanation for the events above??

Thanks,
T.

RE: What's happening?? - DeepBreathing - 08-14-2017

Hi Ted, that whole episode only lasted five or six minutes and scored six apneas. While that's a lot for a short episode, it's not a lot when measured over the whole night. eg if you slept for exactly six hours, that lot would have contributed 1.0 to your AHI.

You were breathing quite smoothly immediately prior to the episode, so I suspect something disturbed you which set off this series of events. Perhaps you rolled over or tucked your chin down to your chest - something which obstructed your airway and made you start breathing erratically. I would be interested to see the whole chart - including snore and flow limitation - for this period and a few minutes before, to see if there were any precursor events.

RE: What's happening?? - tedgreen - 08-14-2017

Thanks!

Please see below some more data. No snoring was reported. However, flow limitation does not seem to match obstructive events!

[Image: WaZi5PF.png]

RE: What's happening?? - OpalRose - 08-14-2017

Hi tedgreen,
It would be easier to advise if we could see the Event graph along with the Flow Limitation,
Pressure graph, leak rate, and snore graph. Also, include the left sidebar, minus the pie chart.

If you follow the tutorial in my signature line, this will show you what we need to see, and how to organize the screenshot.

RE: What's happening?? - tedgreen - 08-14-2017

Please see full screenshot below, focusing on those particular 10 minutes (the rest of the night is normal).

I don't understand why the obstructive events don't match flow limitations...

As stated previously, no leaks and no snoring, but lots of events in a short duration.

[Image: idQWaiN.png]

RE: What's happening?? - Gideon - 08-14-2017

Odd that you posted this today, I just had virtually an identical instance last night. I chalked it up to a position change, a random event.. Like you it "doubled" my AHI but I'm running typically under 1 and this doesn't typically happen. NOT a problem.

IF this is regularly happening several times a night it may need a deeper look. AHI varies every day.

Fred

RE: What's happening?? - Sleeprider - 08-14-2017

Ted, I think unless this becomes a common event, it's best to ignore it. I sure would not suggest changes based on this brief series of irregular breathing that might be REM or positional in origin. Interesting, but not something to act on.

RE: What's happening?? - tedgreen - 08-15-2017

OK!

However, I still don't understand why SleepyHead (or the Resmed machine) is reporting some OA events, while there is no significant flow limitation reported at the same times...

RE: What's happening?? - pholynyk - 08-15-2017

Based on looking at some of my own flow graphs, I would guess that flow limitations are scored based on flat-topping of the flow, but there has to be some minimum flow. If no flow, no flow limitation...

That /is/ a guess, as I only looked at things for about 5 or 10 minutes. Perhaps I will do more later.

RE: What's happening?? - Walla Walla - 08-15-2017

From what I understand flow limitations are detected separate from OA's and H's. So you could end up with a lot of flow limitations and no OA's and H's. Or the other way around. You won't see them at the same time.