Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Average length cpap machine lasts? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Average length cpap machine lasts? (/Thread-Average-length-cpap-machine-lasts)

Pages: 1 2

Average length cpap machine lasts? - Postysam - 09-25-2012

Is there an approximate length of time a cpap machine lasts? As long as it is working should I not worry about it. All buttons seem to function and it doesn't appear to have any leaks. Humidifier works fine when I use it. I had this same (first one) since about Aug 2009

Thanks

RE: Average length cpap machine lasts? - trish6hundred - 09-25-2012

Hi Postysam, First of all, WELCOME! to the forum.! I'm not sure of the answer to your question but hang in there someone will be able to help you shortly.

RE: Average length cpap machine lasts? - zonk - 09-25-2012

(09-25-2012, 04:48 PM)Postysam Wrote: Is there an approximate length of time a cpap machine lasts? As long as it is working should I not worry about it. All buttons seem to function and it doesn't appear to have any leaks. Humidifier works fine when I use it. I had this same (first one) since about Aug 2009

Thanks
With proper care the machine can last long time but normally 5 years if insured. You can only go by how you feel as the Plus model doesn't tell you how many times stopped breathing during night or how long each event lasted (AHI), or leak so you know if leak is large enough to compromise the therapy just how many hours using the machine each night. If you feel fine and don,t need the data than no point to upgrade but if you want to look at your data to see whats going on and hows therapy is working than you need data capable machine. You can get a decent used or new data capable machine such as S9 AutoSet or PR System One Auto at a reasonable price from Supplier #2
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-CPAP-Supplier-List

RE: Average length cpap machine lasts? - Allen - 09-25-2012

I did some research online when I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and most people are getting on average 7 years use out of their machines, but if they have health insurance, they usually get a new one every 5 years.

RE: Average length cpap machine lasts? - PaulaO2 - 09-25-2012

I had my S7 for 6 years. It was starting to not put out the pressure it says it was. The inside, under the tiny screen, was dusty. The outside was discolored (it was white and blue but slowly turned gray and green).

If you never go anywhere, if you have a clean house, if you do regular maintenance, I can see one lasting longer. BUT, I think that after 5 yrs, it should be regularly checked with a manometer.

RE: Average length cpap machine lasts? - LIPTUGGA - 09-26-2012

hi guys n gals
New poster to the forum
I have currently been using the same machine since 2005 a resmed s7 with a pressure of 14
The wife does not complain about me snoring and the hospital checks it every so often so after 7 years it seems to be holding up ok

have just bough a s8 elite for the 12v function for my 3 night fishing trips so hope that will last me aslong as what the s7 has

RE: Average length cpap machine lasts? - SuperSleeper - 09-26-2012

Welcome to Apnea Board, LIPTUGGA.

5 years of every-day use is the average lifespan of a CPAP... if you can stretch that out further, great. The only thing I'd add is that CPAP technology has improved dramatically in the past 2-3 years in comfort, noise-reduction and in effectiveness of treatment.

But heck, sometimes 'ya just gotta save your money for more fishing trips. I fully understand that, of course. Bigwink Coffee

It's not always about quantity of life; quality counts too! Happy Eyes

RE: Average length cpap machine lasts? - cbramsey - 09-26-2012

Welcome to the Forum!!! We are glad you joined us!!! Welcome

I am not sure what the average run time until failure but my first machine I had from October 2002 until December 2008 when it died.

RE: Average length cpap machine lasts? - PollCat - 09-26-2012

In 17 years I've had 5 machines; however, currently I own two (one for home and one for travel(which I bought outright) ). The third machine was obtained in 2006 and replaced in 2012 by the fifth one. And I drowned my second machine when the detached pass-over humidifier fell over and flooded the interior. The first one lasted the longest (I think); I had to replace it when it started to make a loud whistling sound after some of the screws loosened up and got lost. So basically I guess I've been averaging one machine every 5 years.

RE: Average length cpap machine lasts? - trish6hundred - 09-26-2012

Hi LIPTUGGA, WELCOME! to the forum.! Hopefully you can get quite a few years out of both your machines before you have to replace them, although, The newer machines are much quieter and offer great features to enhance therapy. Best of luck.