Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
What does this mean? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: What does this mean? (/Thread-What-does-this-mean--18937)

Pages: 1 2

What does this mean? - HalfAsleep - 08-17-2017

I'm trying to make sense of my sleep study.

One section reads like below (page divider in original).

Am I seeing that by far the large majority of apneas is Central?

How would that square with an AHI of 18 with Moderate OSA? It looks like there was only one OSA episode?

What are the implications as far as treatment?

[Image: f745ac3a-e64c-442c-9281-bc6a1165e01e]

RE: What does this mean? - PaulaO2 - 08-17-2017

did you try to do an attachment? If so, please try again.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-How-to-Attachments

Or upload to Imgur:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=Attaching_Images_and_Files_on_Apnea_Board

RE: What does this mean? - HalfAsleep - 08-17-2017

Original:
I'm trying to make sense of my sleep study.

One section reads like below (page divider in original).

Am I seeing that by far the large majority of apneas is Central?

How would that square with an AHI of 18 with Moderate OSA? It looks like there was only one OSA episode?

What are the implications as far as treatment?
End original

Oops...I botched the attachment.

Let's try this.

[attachment=3783]

I've fixed the attachment and sure could use some input!

RE: What does this mean? - richb - 08-17-2017

Hi HalfAsleep and Welcome to the Apnea Board.  We are going to need some more information.  Are these numbers showing OSA 1 Mixed/Central 11 for a total of 12?  What was the time period?  Were you on a CPAP machine at the time or were these numbers without CPAP (just straight sleep study) ?   Where did the AHI of 18 come from?  How long did you sleep during the study.  Did you have Hypopneas during the study?  If so were they identified as Obstructive or Central in nature.  Is your Dr. going to prescribe a machine for you?  If so what kind?  Other members will have additional questions but rest assured that we can help you get through your diagnosis and eventual treatment.  You will eventually want a data capable machine.  We can help you talk to your Dr about that.  Stick with us.  We can help you get through this.  And you are asking a good question in your OP.  If you are really showing a lot of Centrals when not on a machine there are specific treatments but even more questions will need answers.  

Rich

RE: What does this mean? - Sleepster - 08-17-2017

What I see is an apnea index of 1.9, which would mean you are healthy and don't need any kind of respiratory therapy.

What did your doctor tell you when he released this report to you?

RE: What does this mean? - PaulaO2 - 08-17-2017

Unless that is your titration study, you don't have Sleep Apnea. You had no Obstructive events except for the "mixed", whatever they are considering that to be.

Dang, if my responses to ALL those questions didn't evaporate...

Let's give it a retry, maybe in 2 posts. I can't attach my whole analysis because I'm on an iPad and super impractical.

I slept 6+ hours.

I had 114 events total.

The 18 AHI reflects events that are at 3%-4% desat. I have a CMS AHI of 5, reflecting events equal to or greater than 4% desat. Per CMS AHI, I qualify for treatment for sleep apnea from Medicare.

(08-17-2017, 08:44 PM)HalfAsleep Wrote: Dang, if my responses to ALL those questions didn't evaporate...

Let's give it a retry, maybe in 2 posts. I can't attach my whole analysis because I'm on an iPad and super impractical.

I slept 6+ hours.

I had 114 events total.

The 18 AHI reflects events that are at 3%-4% desat. I have a CMS AHI of 5, reflecting events equal to or greater than 4% desat. Per CMS AHI, I qualify for treatment for sleep apnea from Medicare, in part because I have the typical symptoms.

Onwards...

It was a regular, first-time sleep study. No titration. I slept on 2 different beds (Yep, I had to move rooms in the night), but they only counted Bed #2.

I normally have snorts and throat vibration-noises when I sleep, even during naps; they didn't record any.

I'm not convinced they didn't invalidate the sleep study, but the MD doesn't seem to think so. I don't care, provided I can get treatment for my exhaustion.

I went through 2 complete sleep cycles. But I had 119 stage shifts. What does that mean?

Thanks for being helpful.

RE: What does this mean? - Sleepster - 08-17-2017

(08-17-2017, 08:00 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Unless that is your titration study, you don't have Sleep Apnea. You had no Obstructive events except for the "mixed", whatever they are considering that to be.

Oh yeah. I didn't think of that. So HalfAsleep, if you had an AHI of 18 and it was lowered to 1.9 by CPAP therapy (which is what Paula is saying) then the CPAP therapy is working for you. The fact that the events were mixed or central means nothing because you had so few of them.