Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Masks and jaw surgery - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Masks and jaw surgery (/Thread-Masks-and-jaw-surgery)

Masks and jaw surgery - HalfAsleep - 08-21-2017

I've had jaw surgery, both in the joints and at the mandible. I will be getting CPAP.

I'm trying to narrow down mask choices to minimize pressure on my face, especially my jaws. I don't want the jaws crammed shut, either. I want the face and jaws as relaxed as possible.

In looking at masks, I'm concerned that they will put pressure right where the joint is. Does headgear keep pressure off your face? Do horizontal chin straps travel right along the jaw line?

The couple of options that look like they might be a good starting point to try first are the Amara view and the P10. From pictures, they look like they'd avoid being right over the joint, and give me a chance to experiment with just nose breathing versus mouth breathing.

Input?

RE: Masks and jaw surgery - Sleeprider - 08-21-2017

If you can use nasal therapy, the Airfit P10 is hard to beat in terms of lightweight an minimalist. People with extensive oral surgery may have more difficulty blocking the airway into the mouth with the tongue while allowing free flow through the nose. It needs to be fairly natural for you to have your jaw in a relaxed closed position. The best way to know is just to try it out. In most cases where assistance is needed to keep the jaw closed, a loose fitting soft cervical collar is better than a chin strap. The collar gently pushes on the jaw from behind, while chin straps pull it closed and back. That is exactly what you want to avoid. Good luck!

RE: Masks and jaw surgery - PaulaO2 - 08-21-2017

You may find the straps of the P10 to be too tight if your head isn't one of the few it actually fits. The unadjustable headgear can pull the mask so tight it can cause sores inside and outside the nostrils.

Most straps don't put pressure on the cheeks or push in even when laying on your side. The exception to that would be the gel version of the headgear for the Nuance. Depending on where it lays and if you sleep on your side, I do not recommend this headgear. The non-gel version of the headgear is better in terms of pressure points. It is a minimalist mask, like the P10, but the headgear is adjustable.

You'll not be able to wear most FFMs.

Ask your local supplier to assist you in picking one out since they can physically see you and where the straps will lay. Unless they are useless, they should be able to help.

I would also suggest you get a data capable machine. This will enable you to keep track of how the treatment is working. By viewing the data, you'll know what pressure(s) work better for you.

RE: Masks and jaw surgery - Gideon - 08-21-2017

Masks especially are very individual, they MUST be tried on, under pressure and you should be in sleeping position while doing so.  
EVERY time you have a sleep study with a mask, ask if you can try several.  Every time you go to your DME take your machine, you want to try any mask BEFORE you leave.  Also ask you DME to help with trying different style of masks and checking mask fitting.

Read the Mask Primer, a lot of info there including a strategy to try masks.

The order to try masks is from the least intrusive to the more intrusive, Pillows to nasal to full face.  Intrusive has a lot more meaning to you.

Also read the getting started link in my signature.  It is a series of info about various things, including what to expect as you get ready for therapy and general info about apnea.  

Fred