Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Slow Cooker? [for disinfecting masks or hose] - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Slow Cooker? [for disinfecting masks or hose] (/Thread-Slow-Cooker-for-disinfecting-masks-or-hose)

Pages: 1 2 3

Slow Cooker? [for disinfecting masks or hose] - HalfAsleep - 09-05-2017

Roll over laughing first, but this is a serious question!

Has anyone tried to use a slow cooker for disinfecting the mask and/or hose?

I have some serious logistical challenges over cleaning, etc. (not to mention CPAP set up) because I live in a hotel. There's not even a plug in the sink and it looks pretty hazardous anyway. I don't have great access to a kitchen.

Plus, due to another condition, I have to eliminate as much bacteria as I can from invading my respiratory tract. I have to pay attention to this, no argument.

Cheap is good.

I see a 4 quart slow cooker can be had for $10. What do you think about putting water in the slow cooker, tossing in the mask and accoutrements, and then setting it on high for about 2 hours? 1 hour?

I'm thinking if a slow cooker can cook food throughly, it can disinfect.

This has got to be better than the SoClean 2, 1, or 1000?

I could even start with boiling water in the slow cooker? So as to make sure it's all at a disinfecting temperature?

Too bad I don't have an old mask, so I could try it out.

The other possibility might be a Instant Pot? A steamer/rice cooker?

I would use a dedicated machine, not one I cook with on a regular basis. Although if I had a pressure cooker, I might be tempted to just use a dedicated insert.

Now, if anyone has any ideas to manage other logistics in tight places......

RE: Slow Cooker? - Crimson Nape - 09-05-2017

Many of the parts used in a CPAP mask are made from a low temp plastic.  The rule-of-thumb is if the water it too hot to touch, then it's too hot for the parts.  This is generally occurs around 120oF (49oC) or higher.

RE: Slow Cooker? - KSMatthew - 09-05-2017

It's a valid question: Contact the manufacturer of your mask and ask what sort of procedure you should follow for sanitizing/sterilizing your mask. There are some iodine sanitizing solutions you dilute in water that are used in the food service industry - maybe a soak in a solution like that, followed by a thorough rinse and air-dry. Of course, as soon as you touch it you will have contaminated it again. I'm not sure if a HEPA filter on the CPAP machine will catch bacteria from the room air and prevent that from being inhaled - do you wear a surgical style mask during the day?

RE: Slow Cooker? - HalfAsleep - 09-05-2017

(09-05-2017, 01:03 PM)KSMatthew Wrote: It's a valid question:  Contact the manufacturer of your mask and ask what sort of procedure you should follow for sanitizing/sterilizing your mask.  There are some iodine sanitizing solutions you dilute in water that are used in the food service industry - maybe a soak in a solution like that, followed by a thorough rinse and air-dry.  Of course, as soon as you touch it you will have contaminated it again.  I'm not sure if a HEPA filter on the CPAP machine will catch bacteria from the room air and prevent that from being inhaled - do you wear a surgical style mask during the day?

Great thoughts.

I manage to keep my hands clean enough where they aren't a threat to my health (I have to wash them maybe 50 times a day). I hadn't thought of a HEPA filter, though with a humidifier it might be moot. A HEPA filter might help with congestion, though, and that's an interesting concept. I suppose an air purifier machine right next to the CPAP would do a plenty good job of cleaning up air before intake.

I don't wear a mask: I wash my hands.

I am most concerned by critters growing in equipment that I'm going to breathe deeply from, since they won't have to work very hard to get into my respiratory tract.

I'll bet sleep centers have a way of sanitizing CPAP equipment.

My other thought is that now there's a CPAP dryer available which might dry up spots in sensitive respiratory equipment where germs like to establish residence. Anyone familiar with this?

One of my big issues is where to put all this CPAP C--P.

RE: Slow Cooker? - Melman - 09-05-2017

I don't understand why you feel the need for such extreme sanitization of your CPAP equipment but don't feel the need to wear a mask during the day. The bacteria that get into your CPAP equipment are  the same that you breath all day long with the exception of some that may get into your mask from your face and mouth (and are already on  your face and mouth in very high numbers). I am a microbiologist and can assure you that few if any of the environmental bacteria from your room air will grow on your CPAP equipment. There are some environmental bacteria that will grow in the water in your humidifier but they are not pathogens. (Let me add that for the seriously immunocompromised, many normally non-pathogenic bacteria may be a risk.) Regular washing of your mask, water chamber, and hose with mild detergent should be sufficient. As for drying, that can be accomplished by just running the machine. I'm not recommending that as it increases the run time but it would be fairly effective for drying.

I'm not trying to make light of your concerns and will be happy to respond to any question you may have.

RE: Slow Cooker? - Marillion - 09-05-2017

(09-05-2017, 04:19 PM)Melman Wrote: I don't understand why you feel the need for such extreme sanitization of your CPAP equipment but don't feel the need to wear a mask during the day. The bacteria that get into your CPAP equipment are  the same that you breath all day long with the exception of some that may get into your mask from your face and mouth (and are already on  your face and mouth in very high numbers). I am a microbiologist and can assure you that few if any of the environmental bacteria from your room air will grow on your CPAP equipment. There are some environmental bacteria that will grow in the water in your humidifier but they are not pathogens. (Let me add that for the seriously immunocompromised, many normally non-pathogenic bacteria may be a risk.) Regular washing of your mask, water chamber, and hose with mild detergent should be sufficient. As for drying, that can be accomplished by just running the machine. I'm not recommending that as it increases the run time but it would be fairly effective for drying.

I'm not trying to make light of your concerns and will be happy to respond to any question you may have.

This is an excellent response and I agree with him completely. I would say you risk damaging your equipment using a slow cooker.

RE: Slow Cooker? - AlanE - 09-05-2017

Oh snap, we have to clean this stuff? No seriously... do you remember when the last time I cleaned my equipment? neither do I. I'm here all week folks. At least until Irma pays us a visit. I clean once a week. Seems to be fine. I haven't died yet.

RE: Slow Cooker? - HalfAsleep - 09-05-2017

(09-05-2017, 04:19 PM)Melman Wrote:  (Let me add that for the seriously immunocompromised, many normally non-pathogenic bacteria may be a risk.) 

Exactly.  Big Grin

RE: Slow Cooker? - Walla Walla - 09-05-2017

Almost time for dinner. The wife says we're having pillow stew.

RE: Slow Cooker? - KSMatthew - 09-05-2017

I did a quick Google search of "inline CPAP bacterial filter" and found something that might work for what you want.

It's a filter where one end plugs into the CPAP end of your hose, and the other end plugs into the outlet from the CPAP. So it goes in between the CPAP and the hose.

I didn't look too closely at what size bacteria or other things it would stop. If it works the way they seem to imply, then it will keep bugs from the humidifier from getting into the hose and mask.

edit: Some of the descriptions say they might interfere with auto-adjusting systems because of the way they could interfere with airflow. Might not be the greatest thing ever after all.

edit x 2: at least one brand said not to use it with a humidifier.