Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Power outage [when wearing full face mask] - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Power outage [when wearing full face mask] (/Thread-Power-outage-when-wearing-full-face-mask)

Pages: 1 2

Power outage [when wearing full face mask] - HalfAsleep - 09-05-2017

What happens if the power goes off and you're wearing a full-face mask (covering nose and mouth)? You suffocate?

I'll probably get a Goal Zero Yeti 400 "plug-and-play battery box"(I can get a great deal and I camp a lot), but it's not going to be very effective if I bite the dust before I can take the CPAP out of the wall plug and stick it into the Yeti.

RE: Power outage - chill - 09-05-2017

Let's see...   Medical device, check!  American litigation obsession, check!  I am pretty sure they would have though of that.  Dead customers are really bad PR.  Bigwink

Anti-asphyxia valve (AAV)

RE: Power outage - Crimson Nape - 09-05-2017

Look at the bright side, if you kick you won't need the power backup.

RE: Power outage - cands - 09-06-2017

This makes me laugh now, but it was a real concern when I was starting out.  I remember asking doctors and technicians about it.  Notwithstanding the effectiveness of the anti-asphyxiation valves, I was re-assured that the first thing I would do would be to wake up!

I can attest to the effectiveness of the a/a valves, as I have continued to sleep through 2 power failures, only woken by my partner telling me to connect the back-up battery.

RE: Power outage - Homerec130 - 09-06-2017

I speak from experience - you should not suffocate (key word should). I know if I said won't someone would say a friend of a friend of their cousin 42 times removed died when the power went out.

But seriously, it should not be a problem. I have a Quatro FX FFM and can breathe through it when the machine is not on. Have proved it several times when I got up in the middle of the night, went you know where, came back, put the mask on and forgot to turn the machine back on. I know on my machine, if the power goes out, I get a beeping alarm which is enough to wake the dead. My cats have proved that when they have accidentally unplugged the power cord from the brick.

Homer

RE: Power outage - HalfAsleep - 09-06-2017

(09-05-2017, 11:09 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Look at the bright side, if you kick you won't need the power backup.

Dielaughing

RE: Power outage - Gary1of2 - 09-06-2017

No you dont sufficate. I have slept trough power outage. It went off I didnot know and came back on.

RE: Power outage - Walla Walla - 09-06-2017

If the power goes out the CPAP stops.
If the CPAP stops you snore.
If you snore the wife loses it.
If the wife loses it you die.
Better to have a backup.

RE: Power outage - packtheknife - 09-06-2017

In my hometown, you can fill out a form by going to the power company office. Health issues come first when the there is a loss of power and the company will go to the areas of most need (healthwise) to get the power on.

Fortunately, my power has gone off just a couple of times, like about 4 years ago when we had a derecho wind storm.

RE: Power outage - packtheknife - 09-06-2017

You can go to the power company office where I live and fill out a form showing that you have a medical condition. So if the power goes out, they look at the most critical ( by health needs) areas that need to have power restored.

I haven't been without power but just a couple of times (derecho once, ice storm once) for a long period of time, fortunately.