Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Brain fog improvement? Your experience? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Brain fog improvement? Your experience? (/Thread-Brain-fog-improvement-Your-experience)

Pages: 1 2

Brain fog improvement? Your experience? - Kryogen - 09-10-2017

I've been feeling increasingly brain fogged in the last years.

Sometimes I wake up tired, with a headache and it's all so foggy in my head.

How many people here had brain fog before treatment, and how did it improve with the treatment? How long did it take ?

Thanks

RE: Brain fog improvement? Your experience? - Sleep2Snore - 09-10-2017

I remember vaguely waking up before treatment with my brain not being fully in gear and sometimes a headache.
After I got my C.P.A.P. it cleared up almost immediately I started using it.
It has got to be caused by oxygen starvation to the brain.

RE: Brain fog improvement? Your experience? - DavePaulson - 09-10-2017

I definitely did and I still have days frequently enough when I don't get enough sleep that I have it now. Mine cleared up fairly quickly after I was able to use my CPAP for the entire night. I see you use SleepyHead post some data. There are a couple of guides on how to post and organize your charts here. Posting an Image in 5 Easy Steps   Organize your SleepyHead Charts. If you need more help with any aspect of posting data don't hesitate to ask.

Best of luck,

Dave

RE: Brain fog improvement? Your experience? - Kryogen - 07-04-2018

I stopped using cpap a month or 2 ago, and what I notice the most is the lack of motivation, tiredness, and brain fog/vertigo are back.
I hate sleeping with a cpap, I don't want to use that thing again.
I can't convince myself that it really helps me.
I hate it that my wife and kids see me with that. Kids are young and come to sleep with us during the night, I can't wear a cpap and take care of my kids when they are scared at night.

I stopped using it when my wife told me that I was like "in my bubble" when sleeping with a cpap and that sleeping together would never be the same again. Screw that, put the machine in the drawer.... plus my 3 year old daughter that gets in our bed at 1 am....

anyone else feeling like me?

RE: Brain fog improvement? Your experience? - MrZennie - 07-04-2018

I'm feeling a lot of compassion for you Kryogen.  I'm single, so I'm not dealing with the social aspects of cpap use.  If I was in your shoes, I'd probably have a serious sit-down talk with my wife and tell her I request she support me 100% with this situation. There is no way I would skip using my cpap out of embarrassment, especially if I was having symptoms like yours. 

Also, perhaps you've already ruled out nasal pillow masks but the Airfit P10 is the least cumbersome mask I've come across.  The Dreamwear cushion mask is pretty sleek too.

RE: Brain fog improvement? Your experience? - mesenteria - 07-05-2018

I have to tape my mouth because I prefer a nasal mask and I let my mouth open as I sleep.  It's bad enough to have the contraption on my head and face, but when you want to talk to the person next to you it requires lifting the tape.  It's a one-shot tape, so you must rise and get another length of it and apply it.

I don't have the brain fog problem.  I was fine prior to diagnosis and seem to be fine now that I am in PAP therapy six months deep.

RE: Brain fog improvement? Your experience? - MrZennie - 07-05-2018

Yep, I tape my mouth too, with Somnifix tape. It looks pretty weird, but it works great. I suppose from a looks standpoint, a full face mask is more aesthetic than nasal pillows and mouth tape.

RE: Brain fog improvement? Your experience? - holden4th - 07-05-2018

From another perspective. The brain fog has come back and that means your decision making process is now impaired. How will that affect the decisions that you have to make for your children? Will they be good ones or will they be a result of how you feel at the time? Another part of that brain fog is your psychological state - usually in the negative. It affects your sense of self worth and it also determines how you interact with others. I am stating all this from my own experiences. It embarrasses me to think how I acted and operated in those brain fog days.

Your second post says that the therapy was working for you and that you could sleep well with it. ..my wife told me that I was like "in my bubble" when sleeping with a cpap...

Talk to your wife. Work out a way that you can be there for your children with CPAP.

RE: Brain fog improvement? Your experience? - Sleeprider - 07-05-2018

For most of us the negative issues you relate are not a problem with CPAP, however since these are real problems for you, my suggestion is that you get a referral for INSPIRE therapy. Inspire requires a minor surgery to implant electrodes in the soft tissues of your throat and a smart control unit. We have had a couple members on the forum report good results, as well as several that have not had success. Here is an example:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-Inspire-Implant-Candidate-Cigna-insurance?highlight=Inspire

An alternative is counseling to help you understand that your children do not judge you for the CPAP you use, and for your wife to get a handle on dealing with normal life health issues. CPAP is much less of an intrusion than fatigue, disability, stroke, and heart problems which are more common with untreated apnea. Do what you must, but understand your objections to CPAP therapy are manageable with a good personal mental health check.

RE: Brain fog improvement? Your experience? - Mogy - 07-05-2018

Hi Kryogen,
As the others have stated, your health will suffer if you leave your OSA untreated.
One thing that has not been suggested is to try reducing your untreated AHI to a manageable level.
Losing weight, cardio exercise, and tongue/throat exercises all reduce sleep apnea.
The tongue/throat exercises are very easy and can be effective in reducing your events while sleeping.