Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
What supplies are needed for a newbie? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: What supplies are needed for a newbie? (/Thread-What-supplies-are-needed-for-a-newbie)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

What supplies are needed for a newbie? - HalfAsleep - 09-15-2017

My APAP is coming in 2 weeks. Since supplies will be hard to gather around here, whatever I need at the get-go I probably have to order or take considerable hassle looking for.

The unit prescribed is Resmed Autoset 10 for Her.

I could use some help developing a list of stuff I'll need at the start.

So far, I have:

Mild soap, like baby shampoo
SD card reader for SleepyHead so I can upload here
Some way to put the unit below the mattress level of the bed (maybe a plastic storage container)
A plastic tub for washing hose, humidifier tank, and mask (my sink is too grody 'cos I live in an old building)
Distilled water for the humidifier (ditto on the condition of the plumbing)
A way to hang drippy stuff (how do y'all effect this?)

Other?

RE: What supplies are needed for a newbie? - MitchS - 09-15-2017

A extra reusable filter
Extra fine (hypoallergenic) or disposable filters
Extra hose

Some things to consider:

Extra mask
Heated hose or hose cover

Most of the things I've listed can be bought later when you resupply, but can be hard to obtain on short notice if something breaks or gets lost.

I just drape my drippy stuff over the shower curtain rod until i use again.

RE: What supplies are needed for a newbie? - kiwii - 09-15-2017

Hi! I'm new too, about a week into it.

I would suggest some saline nasal spray to pamper your nose before it needs the moisture/help (learned that on a visit to Laramie, Wyoming - great for altitude sickness).

Also, I picked up a steep-sided stainless steel mixing bowl to use as a washbasin. I also normally use plastic basins, but for this purpose I wanted the bowl to be more sanitary.

RE: What supplies are needed for a newbie? - JesseLee - 09-15-2017

I know it's hard to get used to being on a machine at night. I know that there are a lot of options and accessories and habits that one has to become accustomed to. I think optimism should be on everyone's list as well. Just a little bit will get results and a lot will carry for many nights of restfulness.

RE: What supplies are needed for a newbie? - Sleeprider - 09-15-2017

Don't overthink this too much. It's pretty easy. I think the number one item you don't have on your list is a fleece cover for the CPAP hose. It just makes it so much softer, quieter and easier to use. When it brushes against your fact it feels like soft pajamas instead of a plastic hose.

I use a 2-drawer table at the side of the bed, and the machine is inside the drawer. The hose and power cord are routed through a 2-inch hole in the back I made with a hole saw, and the hose is hung from the headboard.

I have always used tap water and never had problems dumping and rinsing each day. I use Dawn dish soap for cleaning mask parts, and throw the headgear into the washer with the sheets. I rarely clean the hose. If I clean the hose, I just put in a couple drops of soap, fill with water and alternately life each end. I dry it on a coat-hook on the bathroom door. I have two hoses and humidifier chambers, so things have plenty of time to dry. If you have monthly mask cushion replacement and 6-month hose and humidity chamber replacement, cleaning is nearly optional. Every couple weeks is more than enough, and monthly is okay. More problems are caused by over-cleaning than neglect. I'm pretty sure that is the cause of people claiming the Resmed P10 does not vent properly. Observing your data is important at first, but I rarely check mine more than monthly now.

Relax, sleep, get into the therapy, but don't drive yourself crazy with the OCD stuff.

RE: What supplies are needed for a newbie? - HalfAsleep - 09-15-2017

(09-15-2017, 08:07 PM)kiwii Wrote: Hi! I'm new too, about a week into it.

I would suggest some saline nasal spray to pamper your nose before it needs the moisture/help (learned that on a visit to Laramie, Wyoming - great for altitude sickness).

Also, I picked up a steep-sided stainless steel mixing bowl to use as a washbasin. I also normally use plastic basins, but for this purpose I wanted the bowl to be more sanitary.

Great idea on the bowl...I think I already have one, which will mean I can experiment.

I am a Simply Saline fan. Love that stuff. I use it first thing in the morning and if I get congested in the night. It squirts in smooth and cool.

(09-15-2017, 07:56 PM)pupcamper Wrote: A extra reusable filter
Extra fine (hypoallergenic) or disposable filters
Extra hose

Some things to consider:

Extra mask
Heated hose or hose cover

Most of the things I've listed can be bought later when you resupply, but can be hard to obtain on short notice if something breaks or gets lost.

I just drape my drippy stuff over the shower curtain rod until i use again.

Great reminder. Extra fine disposable filters will go on my A-list. I have to be extra aware of illness-inducing critters.

I'm guessing I'll end up with a spare mask and hose when Medicare provides per its supplies schedule?

(09-15-2017, 08:51 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Don't overthink this too much.  It's pretty easy.  I think the number one item you don't have on your list is a  fleece cover for the CPAP hose.  It just makes it so much softer, quieter and easier to use.  When it brushes against your fact it feels like soft pajamas instead of a plastic hose.  

I use a 2-drawer table at the side of the bed, and the machine is inside the drawer.  The hose and power cord are routed through a 2-inch hole in the back I made with a hole saw, and the hose is hung from the headboard.  

I have always used tap water and never had problems dumping and rinsing each day.  I use Dawn dish soap for cleaning mask parts, and throw the headgear into the washer with the sheets. I rarely clean the hose.  If I clean the hose, I just put in a couple drops of soap, fill with water and alternately life each end. I dry it on a coat-hook on the bathroom door. I have two hoses and humidifier chambers, so things have plenty of time to dry.  If you have monthly mask cushion replacement and 6-month hose and humidity chamber replacement, cleaning is nearly optional.  Every couple weeks is more than enough, and monthly is okay.  More problems are caused by over-cleaning than neglect.  I'm pretty sure that is the cause of people claiming the Resmed P10 does not vent properly.  Observing your data is important at first, but I rarely check mine more than monthly now.

Relax, sleep, get into the therapy, but don't drive yourself crazy with the OCD stuff.

A 2-week wait is an invitation to anxiety, especially when laid up with the flu.  Oh-jeez On the other hand, the wait is probably a good thing if I'm coughing and sneezing.

I was wondering about the drawer solution! I have one of those cheap plastic drawer thingies. I was thinking about keeping the CPAP in there and simply opening the drawer at night. I haven't been sure if the machine would have enough space for intake if I put it in there. I live in very cramped quarters, so I have to think of space.

Do you have to take the hose cover off every time you wash the hose? Is that a drag to do?

RE: What supplies are needed for a newbie? - Mosquitobait - 09-15-2017

I use:
Dawn Dishwashing detergent
Distilled water
Mask (backup pillows)
Mask 2 or backup (backup cushions)
Heated hose (plus backup) OR good quality hose and hose sleeve (plus backup hose)

If you don't already have a nightstand, check Wally world item # 552976313 to illustrate a design that is perfect for a cpaper. Keeps the machine lower to prevent water droplets ganging up on you, but still leaves you space for your lamp and phone. If you want to hide everything, go to Pinterest and type in "Cpap furniture" for ideas.

Everything else is extra and not necessarily needed. I alternate between two masks, so maybe a bit more complicated than most. A hose buddy is an option and does improve the operation of some masks.

I just rinse my nasal pillows daily - wash them once a week or so unless I have a cold or something.

RE: What supplies are needed for a newbie? - kiwii - 09-15-2017

I'm so glad you asked this question. You're getting lots of good tips and I'm all ears. Smile

I don't know if others do this - it occurred to me to save the old cushions (cleaned of course) to use when I'm sick and then throw them away.