Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[Symptoms] Waking up after 5-6 hours? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [Symptoms] Waking up after 5-6 hours? (/Thread-Symptoms-Waking-up-after-5-6-hours)

Waking up after 5-6 hours? - Ribman - 10-06-2012

I have been using a CPCP for the last two years. It now seems after 5-6 hours of sleep on the CPCP I awake and cannot return to sleep. So after an hour or two of reading I feel very tired and return to bed with the CPAP and cannot fall asleep and remain tired all day. Does using a CPAP reduce the # of hours of sleep due to increased oxygen? Any suggestions or comments?

RE: Waking up after 5-6 hours? - zonk - 10-06-2012

Hi Ribman, welcome to the forum
have you talked to your sleep doc about day time sleepiness
is your machine data capable (Elite or Autoset) shows efficacy data (AHI, leak) so you know if leak or apnea is a problem

first thing come to mind to ask if you feel congested bc for me when my nose feel congested cannot go back to sleep but if sleeping just over 6 hours at night wont feel sleepy during the day

RE: Waking up after 5-6 hours? - archangle - 10-06-2012

(10-06-2012, 01:46 AM)Ribman Wrote: I have been using a CPCP for the last two years. It now seems after 5-6 hours of sleep on the CPCP I awake and cannot return to sleep. So after an hour or two of reading I feel very tired and return to bed with the CPAP and cannot fall asleep and remain tired all day. Does using a CPAP reduce the # of hours of sleep due to increased oxygen? Any suggestions or comments?

Lots of us CPAPers seem to have that problem. I don't have a good answer, but you're not alone.

Which particular ResMed S9 machine do you have? It should say something next to the power button. If you have a good model, you can get software and see if you're having some sort of apnea problem that's waking you up.

RE: Waking up after 5-6 hours? - trish6hundred - 10-06-2012

Hi Ribman, WELCOME to the forum,! and hang in there for more suggestions.

RE: Waking up after 5-6 hours? - JudgeMental - 10-06-2012

Quote: Does using a CPAP reduce the # of hours of sleep due to increased oxygen? Any suggestions or comments?

I hardly believe that the usage of a CPAP reduces hours of sleep due to increased oxygen intake.. If that were the case, many of us would only need an hour of sleep every night. A lot of water has run under the bridge in two years of usage.. Perhaps some other events are triggering your mild insomnia, rather then your CPAP.

RE: Waking up after 5-6 hours? - Extrospect - 10-06-2012

I also have issues with frequent nocturnal awakenings. Here's the course I'd take:

1. Analyze any data your CPAP might collect. Are you awaking alongside the occurrence of a respiratory event?
2. Identify any possible external causes of the disruption. Does someone you live with have a loud morning routine? Does a noisy AC/Heater click on at around this point?
3. Maintain good sleep hygiene. Try not to let your sleep/wake times vary by more than an hour on each end. Do practice relaxing habits prior to sleep.
4. Speak with your doctor about these complaints.

RE: Waking up after 5-6 hours? - JJJ - 10-06-2012

(10-06-2012, 01:46 AM)Ribman Wrote: I have been using a CPCP for the last two years. It now seems after 5-6 hours of sleep on the CPCP I awake and cannot return to sleep. So after an hour or two of reading I feel very tired and return to bed with the CPAP and cannot fall asleep and remain tired all day. Does using a CPAP reduce the # of hours of sleep due to increased oxygen? Any suggestions or comments?

This problem has been discussed at length here.

I have the same problem as you, only worse. And I have encountered others here who have the problem as well. So far, no simple solutions. And my CPAP therapy is very good, and my sleep hygiene is as good as it gets.

There are a number of over the counter remedies that may help. 5-HTP has been reported as a sleep aid, but I tried it and it did nothing.

Melatonin is another standard suggestion. Your body starts producing melatonin naturally as soon as it gets dark. When it gets light out your body stops producing it. However, some people may not produce enough or may not respond to it as they should. Bear in mind that the half life of melatonin is 30-45 minutes. I take 3 mg when it gets dark out, and when I go to bed I take 10 mg time release (Natrol brand). It does not stop me from waking up, but it helps, and it makes it easier to get right back to sleep.

Another suggestion is Benadryl (diphenhydramine HCl). It comes in 25 mg tablets, but many take 50 mg. It stays in the body a reasonable time, so extended release tabs are not necessary. I take 50 mg at bedtime. Again, it is not a complete solution, but it helps.

There are other pills, but they require a prescription in the US and are scary. I tried Dormalin once and it gave me amnesia. To this day I can't remember the entire day before I took it.

In spite of the above, i still wake up four to six times a night, although I usually stay asleep for the first two and a half hours. I have been meaning to call my sleep doc for an appointment to discuss this, but keep forgetting. I would bet good money that she will have no solutions.

RE: Waking up after 5-6 hours? - StuUnderPressure - 10-06-2012

Before taking Melatonin, one should view this
http://www.doctoroz.com/episode/why-melatonin-may-be-dangerous-your-sleep?video=14647

RE: Waking up after 5-6 hours? - Bernie - 10-13-2012

(10-06-2012, 09:05 PM)StuUnderPressure Wrote: Before taking Melatonin, one should view this
http://www.doctoroz.com/episode/why-melatonin-may-be-dangerous-your-sleep?video=14647

Good reference, but the videos are rather "chopped up" and consist mostly of commercials. I got more and better information by scrolling down and reading the various comments. I might just give melatonin a quick try to see what it does or does'nt do for me.