Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[Pressure] New CPAP user. Need some advice. - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [Pressure] New CPAP user. Need some advice. (/Thread-Pressure-New-CPAP-user-Need-some-advice)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

New CPAP user. Need some advice. - streetwolf - 09-26-2017

First off let me say hi to everyone here.

In June I had a sleep study where my AHI was 47. It was determined that I was to have a Phillips DreamMachine set to a constant pressure of 14.  I've been using the DM for about 2 months and my AHI on average is around 7-8.  I've had a few in the 4-5 range and a few in the 10-13 range.  After some reading on this forum I decided to try Auto mode.  The first night I set the min to 10 and the max to 16.  My AHI was 5.3.  The next night, thinking more pressure is better, I changed the settings to 12 and 20.  My AHI was 8.5.  My mask fit is always 100% btw.

The question I have is Auto mode the best mode to use as opposed to a constant pressure?  I would like to get my AHI down to a fairly consistent 5 or less.

RE: New CPAP user. Need some advice. - richb - 09-26-2017

Hi streetwolf.  Welcome to the Apnea Board.  Let me be one of the first to ask you to install the Sleepyhead software and download your data so that you can post images in this thread,  You will find instructions in my signature.  Your willingness to make adjustments shows that you will eventually get this under control.  Without being able to look at the data it is nearly impossible to make further recommendations.  You might not even have the right machine.  Another thing you want to tell us is the results of your sleep study.
Stick with us and you will figure this out.

Rich

RE: New CPAP user. Need some advice. - Walla Walla - 09-26-2017

Just to make sure. Do you have the DreamStation Auto?

RE: New CPAP user. Need some advice. - streetwolf - 09-26-2017

Yes.  Do I need a reader to read the data on the SD card or whatever it is called?  I don't have a reader on my computer.  My DM does have BlueTooth.  Can I use my phone or a laptop with BT capability to download the data?

RE: New CPAP user. Need some advice. - OpalRose - 09-26-2017

Card readers are inexpensive. Yes, you will need one.

You can download #SleepyHead to a Windows PC, laptop or mac, but not a phone.

I just ordered an SD card reader from Amazon.  It will come tomorrow.  I post my data as requested.

RE: New CPAP user. Need some advice. - Sleeprider - 09-26-2017

Just look for a USB SD card reader. Very inexpensive. It sounds like your experiment with auto CPAP with minimum pressure at 10-16 was successful. When you changed the pressure range to 12-20, that was done without a real consideration of what caused the apnea the previous night. Also, it is a good idea to let setting changes settle in for several days or weeks to really get a good baseline. I would go back to 10-16 and once you can show us some data, we can help you learn more about what is going on so that you can make better, informed decisions.

Good luck and welcome.

RE: New CPAP user. Need some advice. - Gideon - 09-26-2017

To confirm your machine you should have a model number on the bottom and it should read something like "DSX700x11"

Everyone else beat me to the punch. We will help you get dialed in.

Fred

The model is DSX500H11C.

RE: New CPAP user. Need some advice. - Walla Walla - 09-26-2017

If you could change your profile to show the machine model it would help those of us with short memories. Top of the page under USER CP.

Thanks.