Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[Equipment] Water in my mask. - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [Equipment] Water in my mask. (/Thread-Equipment-Water-in-my-mask)

Water in my mask. - VegasGMC - 10-04-2017

Ive been using the Philips Dreamstation with heated humidifier and heated tubing for 2 months. Was first using Resmed and Phillips nasal pillows but  they wouldn't stay on my face. I move around a lot in my sleep. I switched to the Philips Wisp minimal contact mask 4 nights ago. It stays on and is fairly comfortable but I keep waking up with water dripping into my nose. Last night there was so much water coming through I chocked on it.  Is there a setting I need to change? I read it may have something to do with the Flex number. Its set on 2 now. Mask setting is on 2 as well. Most other settings are locked out. Thanks for the help.

RE: Water in my mask. - Sleeprider - 10-04-2017

You can access the humidity control settings in the patient menu, or access the clinical menu by pressing the control knob and ramp button at the same time. Please order the clinical manual for your machine at this link. http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pressure/change-cpap-pressure-settings-adjusting-your-machine-with-a-clinician-setup-manual The provider mode settings give a lot more control.

Water in the mask is called rain-out, or simple condensation. It's likely because weather is getting cooler at night now and so warm humid air can condense in the hose and mask. You either need a lower humidity setting or higher hose temperature setting. Enter the menu and go to comfort settings. You can choose from fixed or adaptive humidification. If you have the heated tube,the heated tube setting is selected automatically. Fixed mode applies a constant heat on the humidifier heater plate. Under certain conditions and settings. this mode can allow condensation to occur in the tube.
Adaptive mode adapts the heater plate temperature to the ambient conditions in the room. and is designed to not allow condensation to occur in the tube You can choose a humidity setting from 0 to 5 and a heated tube setting from 0 to 5. I would suggest setting adaptive mode, or in fixed mode, humidity at 3 and tube temperature at 3 or 4. Decrease humidity or increase tube temperature if you get condensation.

RE: Water in my mask. - Sleepster - 10-04-2017

Another option is to wrap the hose (I think hose wraps are available commercially or you can make your own).

You could raise the temperature of your bedroom or lower the CPAP machine so that the water drips back into the chamber instead of into your mask.

My solution is to simply lower the temperature setting on the humidifier, as Sleeprider suggested. But I can't use a heated hose so the other options he mentioned are not available to me.

RE: Water in my mask. - stanleydean - 10-04-2017

What has worked well for me is passive humidification, water in the tank and heat set at zero. My machine is sitting low, about 6" off floor and my hose passes through a loop of twine secured to the head board as high as possible while still allowing enough hose for moving around. Just keep trying options until you find what works for you.

Stan

RE: Water in my mask. - trish6hundred - 10-04-2017

Hi VegasGMC,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You can use a hose cover on your hose, and see if that helps.
You can either buy one at one of the suppliers on the suppliers list, (link att the top of each page), here on this board, or, you can make one out of old socks. Cut the toes out of them and sew the socks together, thus making a tube.
Thread the hose through the sock tube, putting a rubber band on each end so it stays in pplace.
Good luck with CPAP therapy.

RE: Water in my mask. - PaulaO2 - 10-04-2017

Water in the mask is often from your own breathing combined with the humidifier. This especially happens when the room is much colder than the air in the hose. I'd suggest wrapping the mask hose in a few old socks or similar. This will further keep the air warm. If you can rig something to cover the mask itself, even better.

However, the best option is to heat up the room slightly.

RE: Water in my mask. - kingstar - 10-04-2017

I had this happen on my Resmed and increasing the tube temp 1 degree got rid of it. I expect to have to increase it further once the weather finally decides to cool down here. I have my humidifier set at 6 (out of 8) and my tube temp at 82. I don't like the feeling of that hot humid air right as I lay down so I don't pre-heat the humidifier. If I wake up during the night I'm already used to the humidity and temp. The extra humidity really has helped with my allergies and sinuses.

RE: Water in my mask. - VegasGMC - 10-05-2017

Thanks for the help. I set the humidifier to Adaptive- it was set at 5,  and there was less water in the mask. I'm going to set the hose temp higher tonight.

RE: Water in my mask. - VegasGMC - 10-15-2017

I think I finally got it worked out . Been trying different settings all week. Last night I set the humidifier to 1 and turned off the heated hose. No water in the mask this morning. I agree with PaulaO2. It seemed to be a combination of moisture in my breathe and from the humidifier. There air is also cooler so I don't get that suffocating sensation. Thanks