Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Exhalation "Issues" - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Exhalation "Issues" (/Thread-Exhalation-Issues--19526)

Pages: 1 2

Exhalation "Issues" - GrantT - 10-05-2017

Hello all,

DME provided me with a Resmed 10 VAUTO to help with what I call exhalation issues...I have no problem with inhalation pressures, but have (with previous machine - Resmed S9 Auto) always felt like exhalation was forced and preventing me from relaxing.

Machine Settings

ModeCPAP Mode VPAPauto
Min EPAPLower Expiratory Pressure 6.00 cmH2O
Max IPAPHigher Inspiratory Pressure 14.00 cmH2O
PSPressure Support 4.00 cmH2O
Antibacterial FilterAntibacterial Filter No
Climate ControlClimate Control Manual
Humidifier StatusHumidifier Enabled Status On
Humidity LevelHumidity Level 4
MaskResMed Mask Setting Pillows
Patient AccessPatient Access Yes
RampRamp Enable Off
Smart StartMachine auto starts by breathing Off
TemperatureClimateLine Temperature 27 ºC
Temperature EnableClimateLine Temperature Enable 2

Anything out of the ordinary here?  I tried to post Sleepyhead screenshot but forum requires 4 posts so to be honest, I'm just trying to get some counted without wasting anyone's time as well.

RE: Exhalation "Issues" - silversnore - 10-05-2017

I have the same machine, my pressures are higher than yours. Within a few days I could not tell that I was wearing a mask. You can post your reports to Imgur and post a link on your post. Just leave a blank after one of the letters. Not much that anyone can help with until you post.

RE: Exhalation "Issues" - Crimson Nape - 10-05-2017

Hi GrantT - Welcome

I'm going to let someone with more experience tackle your Vauto settings.  
Posting images; You can break the image URL by adding a space in the address, such as "htt p://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" to get your SleepyHead i\mages posted.

RE: Exhalation "Issues" - GrantT - 10-05-2017

OK...great.  Thanks for the posting suggestion.  Kinda "bypasses" the rules so didn't want to do an end-around.

Here's last night's data.  A little concerned about the # of CA events.  Very early on with new machine so may need to settle in some more as I have read as a suggestion on other posts.

http s://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=0BxaO3i2KmR2jT2xvUnZmLXBhd3M

RE: Exhalation "Issues" - Gideon - 10-05-2017

The rules are to not spam and only post valid therapy data, so no problem.

Can you post a copy of your sleep studie(s).  And why do you have a BiPap?  Your machine is not typically given out for CPAP reasons.

Fred

I don't have any sleep study to post (I'm sure one exists, but I never received it).  Here, you go to the docter complaining about headaches, sleep problems etc, then they send you to the respiratory place where they give you some box to connect to yourself while you sleep (numerous sensors etc), and then you return it.  They then provide you a machine at twice the price you can buy it online and say it includes "support".  I opted to not purchase from them, at which point you go buy your own machine.  I have a prescription that says "CPAP / BiPaP" on it...that's it.   They told me to set it up as it shows above.  It's not a great situation (brought on by my own unwillingness to pay their prices) but it is what it is.

After getting an original S9 Auto and using it some time, I kept having issues "exhaling" - like I was always pushing too hard breathing out.  The EPR on that machine did not provide relief and they suggested this machine instead for greater range.  Sorry, I probably have missed some (a lot?) of the terminology and reasons.

RE: Exhalation "Issues" - Walla Walla - 10-05-2017

I would Change your EPAP from 6cm to 8 cm an drop your PS from 4 to 3.

I can do that easily enough...is there a reason/explanation as to why?  Just a good baseline type setting, or seeing something in particular?

Also, when I do make an adjustment, how long is generally accepted as time to adapt and settle in?

RE: Exhalation "Issues" - Walla Walla - 10-05-2017

The reason for the bump in EPAP is to deal with the H's and the reduction in PS to 3 is because it looks like a PS of 4 is causing you to have CA's due to CO2 being washed out by the high pressure Support. I'd give it a week to see how it settles down.

Thanks for your explanation.  I'll adjust, and post back in a week or so!