Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Do People Not Like Full Face Masks? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Do People Not Like Full Face Masks? (/Thread-Do-People-Not-Like-Full-Face-Masks)

Pages: 1 2

Do People Not Like Full Face Masks? - STB123 - 10-11-2017

Hello all,

I've only been on (battling) BiPap for a week, and so far I've gone through Dreamwear Nasal Mask, Dreamwear Nasal Pillows, and Amara FFM.

I've found that the dreamwear frame tubes compress and constrict airflow when my cheekbones are against the pillow.  For me, this is a huge limitation, not to mention the pillow seems to actually act as an amplifier for the air flowing through the frame/tube, and gets very loud at times.  

I just started using an Amara FFM, and so far, this has been the most comfortable and quietest mask, and no worries about mouth breathing right?  The limitations seem to be if there is any coughing/drooling/snot.

I understand everyone needs a different solution but it *seems* that FFM's are out of vogue and most people are using nasal masks or pillows.  Is there something I am missing with the FFM that is going to cause issues later, or that perhaps made the manufacturers invent the nasal solutions?  If FFM are out of style, any other reasons? 

Thanks for the input!

RE: Do People Not Like Full Face Masks? - Walla Walla - 10-11-2017

I can only answer for me. I choose Nasal pillows for comfort.

RE: Do People Not Like Full Face Masks? - kiwii - 10-11-2017

Some people (I guess) think that they cannot wear glasses with FFM's, or that they will be claustrophobic, or whatever. I really like the F&P SimPlus. I've chosen it for comfort, as I cannot tolerate pressure against the bridge of my nose and nasal pillows cause pain to the interior structure of my nose.

My DME has a prejudice against FFM's and does not understand basic physics or engineering concepts. From his viewpoint, the SimPlus will put undue pressure against the bridge of my nose. The fact of the matter is that he is wrong.

RE: Do People Not Like Full Face Masks? - Gideon - 10-11-2017

Without question the best mask for you is the one that works.  Period.  I am not against any mask.  I have several Full Face Masks.  My preferred mask is the ResMed P10 pillow mask because it is light weight and unobtrusive.

My strategy now is (From the Mask Primer)
First, even a mouth breather may be able to use ANY style of mask, even the simplest, most unobtrusive, Nasal Pillow. See the Mouth Breathing section to see what to do.
Try masks from the most unobtrusive to the biggest bulkiest of masks. This would typically be starting with Nasal Pillows, Nasal Mask, Hybrid Masks, then finally the Full Face Mask. The smaller masks that you start with leave you with less mask on your face and more visibility.
Finally, as I have said before, you have to try masks on, under pressure, and preferably lying down in sleeping position.

A con for any mask is the larger the seating surface is the more likely it is to leak.  when I started I didn't know about anything pillows, or nasal masks for that matter, (I didn't know about help resources like the Apnea board either).

Wearing a mask on your face is claustrophobic for many, except for Halloween who has worn a facial mask for an extended period.  This is not normal, unless you have a condition like sleep apnea or low Oxygen saturation and need to supplement that.

Fred

RE: Do People Not Like Full Face Masks? - Sleep2Snore - 10-11-2017

The bast mask for you is the one that works for you.
It is usually the mask with the least bulk people go for that works for them.  If this is a FFM then that is what they will use.
I used to be a mouth breather, but I panic when using a FFM, so I use Nasal Pillows and use a chin strap to keep my mouth shut, though this is not a problem until I roll over onto my back, then my mouth opens.  I had sore ribs until I realised that it was the wife digging me in the ribs due to air rushing out my mouth when on my back.  So now I use a chin strap made out of something I got with a mask I think, it has a hole cut in the centre with Velcro at the ends (I think it was to hold a mask in place with the hole going over the middle of the mask) but as I do not have the mask now I use it as a chin strap, it is a bit hard on my chine during the night, but it works better than a bought chin strap.
I have now got the soft nasal pillows and use the chin strap and it works fin until I knock the mask off or the chin strap slides off my head and I roll over onto my back.  I have used a types of mask and if it were not for the fact I panic with a FFM I would be using one.
The only other problem I had with a FFM is it would slide up and end up almost in my mouth, which of course made it leak.
With some people it is a personal choice, with others it is what they can work with.
For me Nasal Pillows just are a choice that I can use to get a reasonable result.

I suspect that most people choose a mask because it works for them, or it is the mask they need to use.

RE: Do People Not Like Full Face Masks? - PaulaO2 - 10-11-2017

I think it is a matter of folks with nasal pillows are louder about how much they like their mask. Just say you can't stand the P10 and watch what happens. Too-funny

I'm one of those that use both a pillows mask and a FFM. I would prefer the FFM if I could get the leaks under control. I loved the Simplus. I don't breathe through my mouth but lip leaked for a while. I eventually stopped so went back to the Nuance.

I am considering using the FitLife, a total FFM. I leak air from the tube going to my left eye. Sometimes I can go several weeks with no problems. Then it is every night for weeks.

In other words, use what mask works for you, not the one that works for others.

But stay away from the P10 and its stupid, unadjustable headgear. Eat-popcorn

RE: Do People Not Like Full Face Masks? - Marillion - 10-11-2017

Paula, you troublemaker!   I will not take the bait, I will not take the bait, I will not take the bait....

RE: Do People Not Like Full Face Masks? - PaulaO2 - 10-11-2017

ROFL!!

There is a disturbance in the force...

RE: Do People Not Like Full Face Masks? - sonicboom - 10-11-2017

Paula - you may want to try the F&P Brevida.  It creates more of a seal around the nose, has pillows, is lightweight and very very quiet.  As you may recall I too recently struggled with a leaking P10 into the downside eye.  So far, after one week, I really like the Brevida.  Leaks are almost 0.  Eyes are somewhat better. If it eventually doesn't help I will try a FFM solution but thought id try the Brevida first given others positive reviews.

RE: Do People Not Like Full Face Masks? - STB123 - 10-12-2017

Thanks for all the input! I'm having a few leaks now, but still preferring the FFM.