Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[Equipment] Getting new cpap and need advice - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [Equipment] Getting new cpap and need advice (/Thread-Equipment-Getting-new-cpap-and-need-advice)

Pages: 1 2

Getting new cpap and need advice - VeldasTired - 10-13-2012

Successfully using Remstar Auto CFlex since Jan 06, but it's getting tired. Paid for that one myself because the sleep center could not prove anything (did not sleep well or long). Doctor sent me home with a machine to record for a week and said, try to get used to it and try to use at least 2 hours a night. Put mask on the first night and slept 7 hours straight for the first time in years. So I bought my own machine with his Rx, even though insurance would not cover (no apnea proven). But, with time gone by, I am not as rested in mornings and waking over and over. New sleep study, in new center in town, and they found apnea. !2 per hour average with O2 sat drops to 87%. Brought back for second study with cpap titration and their doc advised get cpap (duh) and use at 9 mm pressure. I prefer to go with a auto type machine, so am having my Nurse Pratitioner rewrite Rx for what I want, per instruction of DME guy today.
His suggestion :
#1 a Fisher Paykel Icon Auto (said they have been most reliable in his view)
#2 Respironics System 1 Auto S9 Auto? said they are not as reliable.

Also using Comfort Select mask and happy with it, but want to try something new. (size small in that mask).
Looking for suggestions as to which machine might be better and if it is true the FP Icon is more reliable over time or if he is just trying to sell his most profitable machine.
Insurance will apparently pay all but $160 on either.
Also he said he would be fired if he gave me the Clinician manual (the old company I dealt with sent it along, but then I paid cash for my machine since insurance did not pay). I told him today I thought his company was like that to keep patients coming back and he grinned but said nothing else.
Sorry to be long. Thanks for letting me join in.

RE: Getting new cpap and need advice - PaulaO2 - 10-13-2012

I suggest either the Respironics 550 or 560 (560 does not work with SleepyHead software and the Respironics software isn't free)
or
the Resmed S9 Autoset

Either way, avoid a Respironics with Plus in the name and a Resmed with Escape in the name. These do no data collection other than compliance.

There's several members here who use the Icon. I have no experience with it at all but I get the feeling it has user issues. Great for the supplier, not so much for you.

If you are paying out of pocket, go to SecondWind (Supplier #2 in suppliers list)

If insurance is paying and that's all they have, then go with the Respironics or Resmed.

What did he mean by reliable? As in lifetime?

As for getting fired, that may be the company policy. It's not illegal to hand them out, just frowned upon since we are "just" the patient and incapable of nothing more than putting mask on and going to sleep.

Speaking of masks, they are very personal. Each person's face and needs will be different. What works with me probably won't work with you. Ask the company what their mask trial policy is. Many allow you time to try a mask for a while to see if it works for you.

RE: Getting new cpap and need advice - zonk - 10-13-2012

my understanding you can get a list of approved DMEs from your insurance and get the machine you want from any DME on the list
there are far more people use System One than the Icon
the clinical manuals available by Email (scroll down to section three)
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pressure/change-cpap-pressure-settings-adjusting-your-machine-with-a-clinician-setup-manual

I've not used either of the machines but if have to make a choice would choose System One Auto 60 series with the heated hose
but first choice would be S9 AutoSet (Not Escape or Escape Auto) its an awesome machine better data display on the LCD screen
and supported by two free readily available software

RE: Getting new cpap and need advice - archangle - 10-13-2012

ResMed S9 AutoSet
Philips Respironics System One REMstar Auto with A-Flex

are both good.

I strongly recommend to not get the F&P Icon. The ResMed and PRS1 record airflow waveforms, which are sort of like an EKG for your breathing. You can manage your therapy so much better with them.

I'd say to get the S9 AutoSet if you can. Right now, it's easier to get the software for.

RE: Getting new cpap and need advice - zimlich - 10-13-2012

Go to each companies website and research the machine. Some online retailers have reviews. Download both clinicians manuals and study them.
And yes, the clinicians manuals are proprietary information and can't be given out. That's one area apneaboard (and the only forum I know of) really fills the gaps in our knowledge and ability to control our own treatments. Good luck, keep us posted.

RE: Getting new cpap and need advice - trish6hundred - 10-13-2012

Hi VeldasTired, WELCOME! to the forum.!
I've had a "Resmed S9Autoset since February and I really like it.
Best of luck on getting your new machine.

RE: Getting new cpap and need advice - Acroflyer - 10-13-2012

I'm new to CPAP as well. I chose the S9 autoset. Awaiting the insurance approval before it's ordered. I also want the climateline tubing and dishwasher safe resivoir. I'll probably have to pay for those.

I'm leaning toward the IntelliPAP AutoAdjust and Heated Humidification System as a backup and travel machine.

I wrote my own Rx. My doctor signed and stamped it. It's registered with two online suppliers thus far. Along with the usual testing method, CPAP and auto-CPAP pressures (info previously obtained from RT), it also states "Patient may adjust. Mask humidifier, supplies as needed. Please provide clinition manual."

I'm Canadian so I don't need an Rx to purchase a mask from a Canadian supplier. I'm likely to purchase the IntelliPAP from a US supplier. I read that US suppliers are more likely to send the clinition manual if the Rx orders it.

The long and the short is do your research, know your numbers and find a doctor wiling to sign and stamp an Rx as mine did.

RE: Getting new cpap and need advice - JudgeMental - 10-13-2012

I think you would be happy with either the Phillips Respironics System 1 Auto or the ResMed S9 (exclude the Plus in the Respironics & the Escape in the ResMed line as those two are NOT full data recording machines.) Both are the best sellers and most widely used. Both are excellent. Sleep-well

RE: Getting new cpap and need advice - Jake_NY - 10-26-2012

(10-13-2012, 02:11 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: I suggest either the Respironics 550 or 560 (560 does not work with SleepyHead software and the Respironics software isn't free)
or
the Resmed S9 Autoset

Either way, avoid a Respironics with Plus in the name and a Resmed with Escape in the name. These do no data collection other than compliance.

I noticed in a couple of posts that you mentioned to avoid a Respironics
with a Plus in the name because it does not collect data other than compliance. I have a Respironics System One Remstar Pro with C-Flex +
Model 450P and it collected full data in Sleepyhead. I don't know about any other models with a + in the name.

RE: Getting new cpap and need advice - SuperSleeper - 10-26-2012

(10-26-2012, 09:14 PM)Jake_NY Wrote: I noticed in a couple of posts that you mentioned to avoid a Respironics
with a Plus in the name because it does not collect data other than compliance. I have a Respironics System One Remstar Pro with C-Flex +
Model 450P and it collected full data in Sleepyhead. I don't know about any other models with a + in the name.

Hi Jake,

She's talking about the model name with the word "Plus" in the name, not the "+" sign that follows the C-Flex feature.

So, as an example, here's a list of 3 of the newer PR System One machines:

1. Respironics PR System One 60 Series REMstar Pro with C-flex+

2. Respironics PR System One REMstar Pro with C-Flex+

3. Respironics PR System One REMstar Plus with C-Flex

Please note that machine #3 is the one Paula is saying to avoid. It has the word "Plus" in the name. The other two machines (1 & 2) don't have the word "Plus" in their names - they have a "+" sign after the C-Flex feature.

So, Machines 1 & 2 are data-capable, while the "Plus" machine (#3) is not data-capable and is what we lovingly refer to as a "Dumb Brick" [meaning it doesn't record any useful data].

Hope this helps! Smile