Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Dreaming of mouth leak - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Dreaming of mouth leak (/Thread-Dreaming-of-mouth-leak)

Dreaming of mouth leak - taha - 10-24-2017

So I am not sure if I am dreaming or is it really happening, but for the last 2 days, towards the end of sleep I dream that my mouth is leaking. The sensation is more like a whisp than a whoosh. Its like my mouth is filling  up with air and I am parting my lips to let the air out in small amounts as it fills up. Other times, its like a buzzing or hissing sensation from the corner of my mouth,.

This is always accompanied by frenzied dreams where I am trying to repair the leak, by putting on a chin strap or monitoring it the leak. One time I dreamed that I had pulled the tubing so far that the CPAP machine was hanging off of the tubing over the side table. Another time i looked in the mirror and opened my mouth to find that the uvula was enlarged and blocking my throat and I plucked it out with my fingers.

I dont notice a dry mouth or throat upon waking up.

So can it really be a mouth leak or is my brain taking other sounds such as the exhalation and tiny mask leaks and construction a story? I know this is not a psych or detective forum but anyone with a similar experience?

RE: Dreaming of mouth leak - Gary1of2 - 10-24-2017

Dry mouth is an indication of mouth leaks. You should try downloading your sleepy head charts the days you think its happening.

RE: Dreaming of mouth leak - taha - 10-24-2017

[Image: x1QNSho.png]

RE: Dreaming of mouth leak - Sleeprider - 10-24-2017

What great results. You can see your dream come true(large leak) at 05:45 to 06:00. A word of caution...if you dream of needing to go to the bathroom, don't act on it. Smile

RE: Dreaming of mouth leak - taha - 10-24-2017

(10-24-2017, 08:57 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: What great results.  You can see your dream come true(large leak) at 05:45 to 06:00.   A word of caution...if you dream of needing to go to the bathroom, don't act on it. Smile

Hello Sleeprider. Too-funny I have occasional enacted a bathroom visit in my dreams only to wake up moments later still with an almost bursting bladder. I guess we all do that.

How can we tell if it was a mouth leak or a mask leak between 5.45 and 6.00.? I have no recollection of that leak. The mouth leak sensation occurred during the last hour of sleep.

Here is a random 5 minute slice of that 15 minute leak. I read on another thread that one can somehow tell if the leak was from the mouth if the heads of the flow were flat! To me the squiggles make no sense. Maybe you?

I am delighted with my AHI and completely relaxed about the centrals, which was my main worry last week. But I am still struggling with trying to get uninterrupted sleep and keep the mask on.

Can you tell from the overall black flow tread if this looks to you like peaceful sleep or do you think I am just bouncing around different sleep stages.

[Image: hdgNylk.png]

RE: Dreaming of mouth leak - Sleeprider - 10-24-2017

The dead-giveaway is the gradual rise in leak, or sometimes a leak that has a flat-peak just above the large leak threshold. A mask leak tends to spike up rapidly like those brief vertical lines you see in the leak rate. . Your description of the leak intruding on your dreams was a classic. Keep up the good work, and nothing to worry about here. It happens to all of us.

Your flow rate shows a bit of flow limit in places, but is overall just fine.