Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Noise cancelling solutions - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Noise cancelling solutions (/Thread-Noise-cancelling-solutions)

Pages: 1 2 3

Noise cancelling solutions - BlinkyGeorgia - 11-06-2017

I'm looking for a noise masking/cancelling solution so my occasional snoring doesn't bother my wife. She gets perturbed when my mask leaks and/or I snore. However, she seems willing to tolerate the sounds of my breathing. White noise machine will not work - she would have to wear ear buds. She was "NO" to that idea. Ditto for ear plugs. Any help out there? P. S. I bought said machine without enrolling her in that solution. Duh!

RE: Noise cancelling solutioms - Marillion - 11-06-2017

If your settings are correct, you should not be snoring... I used to snore badly enough to shake the walls of the house (or so my family used to say.) Completely silent now.

I would encourage you to post your machine data. Information is below in my signature on how to do that. We can give you suggestions on how to improve your settings so that you don't snore any longer. As to your mask leaks, please see the link below for Bonjour's mask primer on suggestions to quell your mask leaks.

RE: Noise cancelling solutions - ajack - 11-06-2017

as above ^ you can get the cpap working better for you.

RE: Noise cancelling solutions - HDCowboy - 11-06-2017

It might be work trying a nasal mask, I'm was/am a severe snorer and the Doc recommended a full face because I claimed I was a mouth breather in my sleep. I recently switched over to the Resmed Airfit P10 nasal pillow mask as an experiment and I found it to be very quiet and with a nasal mask I no longer mouth breath when I sleep so I dont snore!! I have to admit it does take a little getting used to at first! I haven't had any problems with it leaking either!

RE: Noise cancelling solutions - Kryogen - 11-06-2017

I had a nasal mask but terribly leak through my mouth all night so the noise is unbearable for my partner so I had to switch to a full face because of that.

Other than that, I liked the nasal mask much better.

RE: Noise cancelling solutions - Mosquitobait - 11-08-2017

Use a fan. Get one of those noise generating machines. Get a docking station and stick your phone into it and add an app that has various sounds. I used to have to deal with truck traffic all the time (and then all the sirens from a firehouse across the street) and these things work for all but the lightest of sleepers. You can also use a tablet like a Kindle Fire, but unlike an Itouch, it likely won't make it through the night unless it's plugged in.

RE: Noise cancelling solutions - AlanE - 11-09-2017

We have always used a fan. The fan was originally for our Australian Shepherd. Long story, won't bore you with it. He's gone now but after 14 yrs of using a fan, it's difficult to sleep without it.

RE: Noise cancelling solutions - OpalRose - 11-09-2017

In the winter months, I run a small room humidifier. It does double duty... gives extra humidity and makes just enough sound that I don’t hear anything from my Apap.

In the summer, I run a fan. I tried to turn it off a couple times, but the sound of my breathing or from the machine keep me awake. The fan drowns it out.

RE: Noise cancelling solutions - SarcasticDave94 - 11-09-2017

I'll ditto the fan as one answer. I use a room air filter/fan for another reason than being bothered by machine noise. I have COPD and need to clean the air a bit with the filter fan device. And besides, I like to have a fan moving air regardless.

Dave  Coffee Coffee

I'm going out on a limb and guess the option for YOU to use the earplugs, white noise device, etc. are not options to not hear wife...  Bigwink

RE: Noise cancelling solutions - Marillion - 11-09-2017

But a fan is not needed if the adjustments on the machine are correct. There will simply be no snoring sounds...

I would just like to re-iterate that instead of trying to mask any sounds of snoring that he should get at the root of the problem; helping the mask stay stationary and prevent snoring with the correct settings on the machine. He will need to post data to help us give him some solid advice to that effect.