Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Coughing And Sneezing Strategies? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Coughing And Sneezing Strategies? (/Thread-Coughing-And-Sneezing-Strategies)

Pages: 1 2

Coughing And Sneezing Strategies? - HalfAsleep - 11-07-2017

I've developed a cough this week, my first since starting CPAP. When I sneeze, it's more of a sporadic thing. With coughing, you have to plan your night.

The worst thing is trying to cough under pressure. Opening your mouth is like opening a car window when you're driving 90 mph on the interstate.

And then there's the desperate feeling of a cough coming on and trying to get the mask off so as to not be coughing into the wind.

I've had equally problematic experiences with the FFM and with the P10.

Any tricks or tips?

RE: Coughing And Sneezing Strategies? - Walla Walla - 11-07-2017

Nyquil Night time. Also a shot of rum works and if it doesn't work you won't care.

RE: Coughing And Sneezing Strategies? - Sleep2Snore - 11-07-2017

FFMs are bad for a coughing fit, it you get one.
The Nasal Pillows are not so bad, bit awkward but you can get by, unless you are on a higher pressure than most.
I know what you mean about coughing against the pressure though.
I have no real tips to pass on, I cough when I need to.
However, the FFM was not so easy if you had to cough, I always had to scramble for the off switch, but the cough would always beat me, so yuck!!
Wipes by the bedside, a sneeze is a lot worse than a cough, especially if you have a sneezing fit.
A sneeze is not good with Nasal Pillows either.  Just have to rip then off in a hurry and let the air waken my partner up, if the sneezing ir coughing doesn't waken her anyway.   Thinking-about 
Then I get the evil eye   Rolleyes

RE: Coughing And Sneezing Strategies? - Sleep2Snore - 11-07-2017

(11-07-2017, 07:17 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: Nyquil Night time. Also a shot of rum works and if it doesn't work you won't care.

Thinking-about she might have something to say if I were having a snifter every night.
Mind you a big glass of Scotch might work well, but I might become an alcoholic.
I could blame you for suggesting it though!   Big Grin

RE: Coughing And Sneezing Strategies? - 77346 - 11-07-2017

@HalfAsleep

I wish I had a suggestion, but I've been having a similar issue lately... stuffy nose, sneezing, etc. The full face mask does complicate things a bit.

RE: Coughing And Sneezing Strategies? - HalfAsleep - 11-07-2017

For stuffy nose, I figured te P10 is quite brilliant even though I'm very leak-prone when I use it. It's nasty to cough in, though. The pillow covers more than half my mouth.

For congestion in the FFM, I tried spraying my chest with Icy Hot, a delicious menthol mix. I also worked over a cough drop before I went to sleep and in the middle of the night. Mixed results. But the F10 is hellish difficult to get off in a hurry.

RE: Coughing And Sneezing Strategies? - Doza - 11-08-2017

Only last night I found myself having to work out how to cough under pressure. The trick for me was to get the nasal inhale timed right to cough. Was like it was being told not to let the door hit its ar$e on the way out. Whoosh! LOL
As long as the in and out breaths were through the right holes, I was fine (with a P10).

RE: Coughing And Sneezing Strategies? - HalfAsleep - 11-08-2017

Thanks

RE: Coughing And Sneezing Strategies? - TBMx - 11-08-2017

I have a AirFit F10 and I cough a lot (not so often as therapy progresses - more in the beginning)
I just unplug the hose and cough, if I am awake enough - if not I just cough (I really do that - massive short spikes in the pressure are proof of that)

sneezing is a total different thing - as you mentioned: you don't always get the mask down from your face before it happens. Keeping a spare cushion on the shelf helps me A LOT!

RE: Coughing And Sneezing Strategies? - HalfAsleep - 11-08-2017

I hadn't thought of prepping a spare cushion. Too bad, I can't make it menthol-flavored!

Well, there's a thought.... Has anyone tried adding a few menthol (eucalyptus, whatever) drops to an FFM mask? Not where the mask touches the face? It would probably only take a couple of drops to get a significant blast?