Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
dishwasher Safe! - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: dishwasher Safe! (/Thread-dishwasher-Safe--20082)

dishwasher Safe! - GuppyDRV - 11-13-2017

Hello all,

Just a quick question, does anyone use their dishwasher to clean tubing and/or mask? I'm using a Dreamwear mask with just generic tubing I buy from an online retailer. I'm tired of hand washing and thought the dishwasher might be a faster and maybe better alternative. My only concern is temperature with regard to the material the mask is mad from.

GuppyDRV

RE: dishwasher Safe! - Walla Walla - 11-13-2017

Don't use the Dishwasher it will melt the mask.

RE: dishwasher Safe! - GuppyDRV - 11-13-2017

Thought the mask might be a problem! Ever had any luck with tubing?

GuppyDRV

RE: dishwasher Safe! - srlevine1 - 11-13-2017

I am not lazy, I am energy efficient, so tried the dishwasher on a few masks and hoses that I was going to discard -- using the top rack and turning the drying mechanism off.

It appeared that there was no benefit to running a near-empty dishwasher. The most unpleasant problem was the remaining soap residue and hard-water spots. I did just the plastic parts, not the cushion or headgear. As for the tubing, it was a total bust. I almost tried regular dishwashing soap but was informed that using regular soap could cause a foaming disaster.

What I do now is to use two hose plugs. Put a small amount of Control III and water in the hose, put in the plugs, shake back and forth. Rinse with clear water and air dry. I use two hoses in a weekly rotation.

For the mask and the water chamber, I use a bucket with Control III and water (a little goes a long way) and submerge the parts. Rinse and air dry.

For the headgear, I use Dawn dishwashing detergent, rinse, and air dry.

At the end of the month, I use some white vinegar in the water chamber to dissolve any mineral deposits if I am not using distilled water.

I thought of using the expensive unit with the ozone solution, but have read mixed reviews.

RE: dishwasher Safe! - GuppyDRV - 11-13-2017

Thanks for the input......I'm retooling my thought process and will henceforth consider myself efficient!

As for the control III the warning label kind of scared me! Didn't sound very healthy so I've been using some Dawn in mild water once per week. It works well but is a pain in the empanage if you know what I mean!

GuppyDRV

RE: dishwasher Safe! - Sleeprider - 11-13-2017

Control III is highly diluted before use and is not particularly hazardous in diluted form. Really, all you need is to clean equipment periodically. Disinfection isn't needed when equipment is not shared. I do give the humidifier chambers some extra attention as they can support a biofilm if not dried between use. I rarely clean mask and tubing, and clean the cushions weekly or twice a week. Whatever works for you.

RE: dishwasher Safe! - OMyMyOHellYes - 11-13-2017

Routinely run the water chamber and lid from PR SystemONE through dishwasher - at least when I decide to wash them. DO NOT do so if the tank has an aluminum plate or base lie my S-9 Respironics did. Dishwasher detergent is usually caustic and will discolor aluminum. Stainless is fine though.

OMMOHY