Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Mouth leakage even with a chin strap - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Mouth leakage even with a chin strap (/Thread-Mouth-leakage-even-with-a-chin-strap)

Mouth leakage even with a chin strap - PMD1953 - 11-16-2017

I’ve been on CPAP therapy for about 6 months now.  I am getting good results using a nasal mask and a chin strap.  Ocasionally, I have a night where I have a lot of mouth leakage even with the chain strap.  Any ideas what might be the cause.

RE: Mouth leakage even with a chin strap - HalfAsleep - 11-16-2017

Scrutinize the leakage on your SleepyHead chart. You might find there's a reason for the leakage that would benefit from an adjustment.

Post a sample chart here and get some input.

RE: Mouth leakage even with a chin strap - Sleep2Snore - 11-16-2017

It can be difficult to deal with, I get a small amount of this as well unless I pull the chin strap very tight.
Trouble with chin straps is they are usually made of a slightly stretchy material and it does stretch enough to allow air to escape out of the mouth.
Even sometimes when your mouth remains shut, it can leak out past your lips.
I have heard of people taping their mouths shut, however, I wouldn't recommend you do this.
I believe there is a collar that can help hold you mouth shut now, but it might still escape from your lips.
12 is just the pressure it starts at!  My machine reached 12 last night and I woke up to air just coming into my mouth like a dripping hose with water!
So chin strap will be getting tightened tonight, if that does not work I will have to think of something else.  Though I think the problem I have is the chin strap slips slightly allowing a small amount of air into my mouth drying it, then the small amount gets a bit bigger.
Try sucking your tongue to the top of your mouth, works for some.  I keep one of those bottles of water by the bed with a pull out top where I can get a tiny sip of water without taking the Nasal Pillows off.  Sometimes when the chin strap slips it moves the headgear and the seal breaks, causing a leak, or it will drop the pressure just enough for my throat to close slightly, then air is forced out through my mouth and starts it off.
However, on a good might without a leak I get a 0.0 AHi on a night where air gets out through my mouth, I get a 0.1.

Sleepyhead might give you a clue as to when it is happening.  Then it might be clearer what course of action you need to take.

RE: Mouth leakage even with a chin strap - CB91710 - 11-16-2017

Chin strap was only marginally helpful for me.
A soft cervical collar took care of the problem AND does not leave marks on my face.

RE: Mouth leakage even with a chin strap - Koolbreeze - 11-17-2017

The normal ruby style chin strap didn't help me. I also tried a cervical collar I picked up from Walgreens and that didn't work either. Bought the PapCap and it works well. I'm not crazy about it, but usually don't have any leaks.

I'm going to try a full face mask next.

RE: Mouth leakage even with a chin strap - Apnea Infant - 11-17-2017

The soft cervical collar did it for me. Many years of snoring and am sure also undiagnosed apnea resulted in mouth breathing. My initial FFM did not prevent me from mouth breathing causing aerophagia and severe discomfort. The leaks were massive as I flopped in REM sleep.

A change to pillows and a collar hugely reduced leaks preventing chin tuck and keeping my mouth closed. In addition, keeping my tongue pressed against the roof of my mouth also helped to keep my mouth closed. Not saying I did not at times get awakened by my tongue dropped and leaks occurring but these events are few and far between now.

Gradual reduction in pressure made possible by closely monitoring AHI weekly with Sleepyhead also helped. My experiences were closely guided by the super gurus here giving me confidence to take my therapy in my one hands.

I tried a chin strap for a night but think it was a cheap one as it was not elastic enough and did not persist. I suspect yours probably stretched over time and am now not effective in keeping your mouth closed.

RE: Mouth leakage even with a chin strap - DaveL - 11-18-2017

Posts here are so helpful.

I find chin straps slip on my bald spot.

I used a PapCap for several years. I should get one again

I am claustrophobic with full face masks. My ResMed N20 is a delight.

RE: Mouth leakage even with a chin strap - Walla Walla - 11-18-2017

I go along with Rich. I use a Soft Cervical Collar and it has helped with leaks.