Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
New member – things seem fine? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: New member – things seem fine? (/Thread-New-member-%E2%80%93-things-seem-fine)

New member – things seem fine? - merkySuperNova - 11-20-2017

Hi everyone!

First, I wanna say how much I appreciate this forum and all of the contributors. With the wealth of information here, I feel like I’ve really been able to take my health and future into my own hands.
Thanks

After finally admitting I could benefit from using a CPAP (it’s a somewhat long story that involves shame and denial!), I realized I needed information and data in order to evaluate how my therapy was going. So, I got SleepyHead and an SD card. For the past 1.5 months, I’ve been looking at my data, but it’s not terribly interesting.

My AHI is usually 0.3 or lower. My 95% pressure is ~6. And after getting a few comfort items (HoseBuddy, Lanolin Cream), the thing I'm working on now is trying to consistently prevent my mouth from falling open because it is causing my partner to wake up from the noise of air whooshing out my mouth.

I’ve tried several methods: 1.) the tape method (rubbing tape residue off my upper lip in the morning is not a ritual I want to make permanent); 2.) tongue-sucking(?) method (this sort of works but is inconsistent); 3.) a soft cervical collar (didn’t love not being able to bend my neck); 4.) a single strap chin strap (doesn’t work, falls off every time); and 5.) SleepWell Pro chin-strap (I appear to be mildly allergic to the neoprene material, but it does a pretty good job).

I ordered another chin strap today that is a different material and doesn’t go under my ears (which was also an unexpected problem). So, we will see. I've even considered modifying the ones I already have, but I may not have to do that.

Other than that, upon first use of my CPAP with nasal pillows, I started feeling less randomly tired and I started having dreams again! I also feel like I had less cravings for sweets, or at least more ability to control the cravings. So, those are nice positives!

In conclusion, I don't have any specific questions, but am dealing with some sub-optimal situations and am open to any advice.

Thanks again!

RE: New member – things seem fine? - jaswilliams - 11-21-2017

Remember a full face mask is not a failure just a different tool if you can’t stop the mouth leaks

RE: New member – things seem fine? - Walla Walla - 11-21-2017

Welcome to Apnea Board. How bad are your leaks?  If they're not too bad and they don't bother you than it may not be a big thing. If they're crossing over the red line alot on SleepyHead than you may want to try the Full Face Mask.

If you want you can post a chart here to show your leak rates. The instructions for posting sleepyhead are below.

Great job on the low AHI numbers. Just a heads up the AHI numbers can read lower than they actually are due to leaks if they're bad enough.

Welcome

RE: New member – things seem fine? - trish6hundred - 11-21-2017

Hi merkySuperNova,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck with CPAP therapy and getting it adjusted to meet your needs.

RE: New member – things seem fine? - ajack - 11-21-2017

see how you with the mouth breathing, I needed to move to what's called a full face mask, that covers the mouth and nose.

RE: New member – things seem fine? - Sleep2Snore - 11-22-2017

Hi merkySuperNova,

I think you have got it well sussed Big Grin 
All the shortfalls you have picked up already.
You will find ways round most of them or learn to put up with them.
If not ask.

Welcome to the forum.