Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Klonopin (Benzo drug) reduces AHI? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Klonopin (Benzo drug) reduces AHI? (/Thread-Klonopin-Benzo-drug-reduces-AHI)

Klonopin (Benzo drug) reduces AHI? - fitmart - 11-21-2017

Okay folks.  A while back my doctor prescribed Klonopin for anxiety and sleep.  (I wake every hour).  The first thing I noticed is that my AHI dropped 30-40%.  This remained the case the entire month I was on Klonopin.  (I just assumed I was getting used to the CPAP).  So after I got off Klonopin, my AHI went right back up.  (So did my waking every hour again).  I have tried ambien, Lunesta, and every herb under the sun.  Still anytime I take an occaisional Klonopin, my AHI drops again.  I have heard only one theory as to why this is.  That is reduces REM cycle where most apneas occur.  Would love to hear anyone elses thoughts on the relationship.
Thanks

RE: Klonopin (Benzo drug) reduces AHI? - HalfAsleep - 11-21-2017

I’m a newb, so don’t believe everything I say, but I’ll venture that you have less “sleep junk” because you aren’t waking up and going back to sleep as often.

“Sleep junk”... in the transition to sleep and out of sleep, we can have “events” that aren’t necessarily worrisome. For instance, you might be holding your breath when you turn over or snuggle down. Holding your breath can rack up an “event”.

You might have fewer events on Klonopin because you have less sleep junk.

On Klonopin, are you tossing and turning less through the night than without? Less than on the other drugs you take? This might well be a factor.

RE: Klonopin (Benzo drug) reduces AHI? - Sleeprider - 11-21-2017

Can you say what kind of events are reduced by the Klonopin? OA, CA, H?

RE: Klonopin (Benzo drug) reduces AHI? - fitmart - 11-21-2017

I don't have Apneas and only an occasional CA.  My problem is Hypopneas and lots of RERAs. 
Therefore the klonopin is reducing Hypopnea and RERA.  (My Cpap estimates RERAs and the are down)

RE: Klonopin (Benzo drug) reduces AHI? - fitmart - 11-21-2017

About a year and a half ago I was a sound all night sleeper.  Then it changed all of a sudden.  I only get about 1-2 hours at a time the first half of the night and 30 min- an hour the second half.  After a year of trying every alternative medicine available and following proper "sleep hygene".   I moved onto sleep medicine (ambien, lunesta, trazadone).  I finally got a sleep study.  They said I had UARS.  Lots of RERAs and hypopneas.  So I though that the cpap would be the cure.  Wrong!  It reduced my RDI down to 3-4, but didn't improve my sleep any.  The only thing that helps is Klonopin.  However, since I can't take that long term, I switched back over to Lunesta.  That gives me about 3 hours of sleep then I am back waking up the rest of the night.