Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Just got my first CPAP machine....YIKES!!! - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Just got my first CPAP machine....YIKES!!! (/Thread-Just-got-my-first-CPAP-machine-YIKES)

Pages: 1 2

Just got my first CPAP machine....YIKES!!! - dumbusername - 11-21-2017

Hi All,

After waiting two months I received my first CPAP machine.  Once the trainer started talking I completely zoned out - so much information all at once. Since I have been reading the forums and getting excellent advice from you folks, I was encouraged to see the supplier was giving me a new ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet!  So far so good, right?

I tested two different nasal masks and decided the AirFit N20 "For Her", worked best for me.  Does it matter that the AirSense is not a "For Her"?

Must admit I panicked a little when I first used the machine with the mask, which the trainer had preset at 4.  I had no idea exhaling would require so much effort.  I felt like I was drowning!  The woman told me I'd get used to it.  I told her I would prefer not to try to fall asleep while in panic mode!  Again, she assured me I would get used to it.  The machine is programmed to go to p10 once I am asleep as my doctor prescribed. 

Can't wait to figure out how to get the data to post here.  I'll be reading up on that again tomorrow as I don't remember a thing that I've already read.  LOL 

I am open to any and all suggestions and shared experiences!  I will be looking for a battery source since I camp and go RV boondocking a lot - suggestions?

Thanks so much for helping a fellow sleep seeker.

KC

RE: Just got my first CPAP machine....YIKES!!! - Walla Walla - 11-21-2017

You'll get the hang of it before you know it. The links for SleepyHead and how to post are just below.

Enjoy your new machine!

RE: Just got my first CPAP machine....YIKES!!! - ajack - 11-21-2017

If you feel you aren't getting enough air, raise the ramp min to 6, the clinical manual is in the top link of this page.
It sounds like the cpap is in cpap mode and not auto, you may want to change to auto later.
this is the main settings
http://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-airsense-10-aircurve-10-setup-info

don't try to breathe out, just let it happen, with cpap your lung doesn't completely empty, it's a funny feeling. don't worry, when your minimum pressure is set right, you are getting plenty of air. Later you might like to try the EPR setting, which has a lower exhale pressure.

RE: Just got my first CPAP machine....YIKES!!! - heyslick - 11-21-2017

Welcome!

RE: Just got my first CPAP machine....YIKES!!! - DeepBreathing - 11-21-2017

dumbusername Wrote:ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet! So far so good, right?

That's an excellent machine for the treatment of obstructive apnea - there's none better.

Quote: the AirFit N20 "For Her", worked best for me. Does it matter that the AirSense is not a "For Her"?

It doesn't matter as far as mask compatibility is concerned. The Autoset For Her does have an additional treatment mode which the standard Autoset lacks, but I wouldn't worry too much about that unless you find that the standard machine is not treating you properly. The odds are very much in favour of the standard Autoset being all the machine you need.

Quote: I had no idea exhaling would require so much effort. I felt like I was drowning! The woman told me I'd get used to it.

Yeah, you do get used to it fairly quickly. You can help it along by using the mask in a non-sleep situation such as reading or watching TV. This will accustom you to the feel of the mask and make it so much easier to adapt to it at bed-time.

RE: Just got my first CPAP machine....YIKES!!! - HalfAsleep - 11-21-2017

Weehee! Another someone who is all about participating in optimizing their health!

The exhale discomfort can be fixed....

I'm a newb. You will be a newb for quite a while. This evidently takes quite a while to get the hang of, though some folks get in the groove right away.

Four tips:
1a. Fill out your ApneaBoard profile. Posters need that to provide advice.
1b. Focus on your compliance requirement (otherwise you'll lose your machine).
2. Help your ability to pass the compliance requirement by addressing comfort issues.
3. Comfort issues include optimizing your AHI, finding the right mask, and minimizing leaks.

#1 No one can do this for you.
#2-3 right here!
#3 prerequisite is downloading SleepyHead, recording data to an SD card, porting it into a computer, and learning how to post charts here.

RE: Just got my first CPAP machine....YIKES!!! - trish6hundred - 11-21-2017

Hi dumbusername,
CPAP therapy can take some getting used to, but stick with it, over time, it does get better.
Good luck on your CPAP journey.

RE: Just got my first CPAP machine....YIKES!!! - dracus - 11-22-2017

It really becomes quite easy... Smile

RE: Just got my first CPAP machine....YIKES!!! - Sleeprider - 11-22-2017

Welcome to the forum. With regard to camping, a lightweight solution is the BiXPower Super High Capacity (159 Watt-hour) Rechargeable Battery for ResMed AirSense 10 CPAP Machine CP170-S10. This is sold on Amazon at $259, which seems expensive, but it includes the DC 24-Volt converter for the Airsense 10, so it is a complete plug and play package that will give you two days of use without the humidifier on, and includes chargers you can plug into AC or your car's DC output. It is much lighter than any lead-acid battery solution, so maybe put it on your Christmas list.

Good luck.

RE: Just got my first CPAP machine....YIKES!!! - Sleep2Snore - 11-22-2017

Hi dumbusername,

The two main problems at the start are either the pressure is making it difficullt to breathe out.
You can set EXP relief on the machine to help with this.  It drops the pressure when you breath out.

There is not enough air coming into the machine and you feel you are going to suffocate.
You can raise the low pressure to avoid this.

Welcome to the Hoseheads and the forum.

After a while you will get used to using CPAPAPAP and there is a wealth of advice here to help you.