Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Airsense 10: Pressure Increase in Automode - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Airsense 10: Pressure Increase in Automode (/Thread-Airsense-10-Pressure-Increase-in-Automode)

Airsense 10: Pressure Increase in Automode - finsko - 12-03-2017

My first post here; please point me to a previous thread if this is covered elsewhere. I am using Sleepyhead, but am not sending data in this post because I haven't yet figured out the proper format. I have a Resmed Airsense 10 in Automode, range 4-14, with EPR set to 2, nasal mask + chin strap.
Two questions:

1) What causes the ResMed to increase pressure in the absence of an indicated event? For instance, over the course of 2 minutes in the middle of nothing obvious the max pressure went up from 5 to 7.
2) What causes  Resmed/Sleepyhead to signal an RE(RA)?

The specific problem (and the thing I want to understand) is that after a signaled RERA the RESMED increased pressure over the course of 20 minutes from 4 to about 11, which is uncomfortable for me and woke me up. I'd like to understand what's going on. Any info/suggestions welcome.

Thanks,
Steve

Background: I was diagnosed with OSA about a month ago; I had no complains about my sleep patterns but was tested for reasons related to daytime tiredness. I'm trying to adjust to APAP in hopes it will increase my energy level. I compiled Sleepyhead for Linux 14.04, and am amazed at its existence (yes, I sent them a donation), and also at the knowledgeable and supportive community on this board.

RE: Airsense 10: Pressure Increase in Automode - Walla Walla - 12-03-2017

Welcome to Apnea board. The links below will help you post charts here after you've posted 4 times.

The reason your pressure goes up most likely because of flow limitations. The machine will increase pressure due to flow limitations to try and head off events from happening. The machine also increases pressure to snores for the same reason.

RE: Airsense 10: Pressure Increase in Automode - jaswilliams - 12-03-2017

The default minimum pressure of 4 of the resmed is very low more likely suitable for children so the machine has to raise pressure rapidly to treat the onset of apnea (the resmed uses flow limitations and snores as signs it needs to increase pressure) most people find it more comfortable if the minimum pressure is raised to 2 cm below the 95% pressure reading as shown in the sleepyhead.

Also EPR can reduce the pressure when breathing out to make the pressure more comfortable. Over time you won’t notice the pressure and will wake up wondering if your still wearing the mask.

This means that the machine does not have to raise the pressure so rapidly which is the likely cause of you waking up.

Jason

RE: Airsense 10: Pressure Increase in Automode - trish6hundred - 12-03-2017

Hi finsko,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck with CPAP therapy, hang in there for more responses to your post.