Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
CPAP in High Altitidue - Own Experience - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: CPAP in High Altitidue - Own Experience (/Thread-CPAP-in-High-Altitidue-Own-Experience)

CPAP in High Altitidue - Own Experience - dfctr - 12-05-2017

Hi all!

I just wanna let you know my exprience with high altitude CPAP therapy.

I'm 1.85mt, 120 kgs guy.
Doctor prescribed a pressure of 8, in CPAP Fixed mode.
I work at 14000 ft (4200 meteres above sea level) for 8 straight days.

This last month I noticed I didn't sleep well. So, yesterday I came to this forum. In consecuence I increased this first night to 9.5.

It was marvellous. I was well rested.

Same sleep time (6 hours). I will keep reporting next week when I get back to work.

As always, take this as my own expreience and do everything at your own risk.

Cheers!

RE: CPAP in High Altitidue - Own Experience - S.L. Ping Beauty - 12-05-2017

I started out on CPAP and noticed a difference when traveling to the flatlands. I slept better at the lower altitude but I think it was due more to better oxygen supply as opposed to any PAP therapy.

When returning to my normal mountain elevation (9,500+ feet) I did start to step up pressure incrementally. I was still having difficulties up high at home.

Eventually my doctor switched modes to APAP and let the machine do it for me. Since doing this change about 4 weeks ago i have been sleeping better than ever.

RE: CPAP in High Altitidue - Own Experience - dfctr - 12-05-2017

(12-05-2017, 11:20 AM)S.L. Ping Beauty Wrote: I started out on CPAP and noticed a difference when traveling to the flatlands.  I slept better at the lower altitude but I think it was due more to better oxygen supply as opposed to any PAP therapy.  

When returning to my normal mountain elevation (9,500+ feet) I did start to step up pressure incrementally.  I was still having difficulties up high at home.  

Eventually my doctor switched modes to APAP and let the machine do it for me.  Since doing this change about 4 weeks ago i have been sleeping better than ever.

This is what I was looking for. I'm switching my CPAP to an APAP to see how it goes.

RE: CPAP in High Altitidue - Own Experience - S.L. Ping Beauty - 12-05-2017

I have mild apnea symptoms. My prescribed pressure was 7.0 and I experimented incrementally over the past year up to 8.4 before settling back into 7.4 before the switch to APAP. Upon switching, my doctor prescribed APAP variable pressure range of 6.0 - 12.0.

Very comfortable for me now especially upon returning to the nasal pillows in the wee hours after taking a pee.

RE: CPAP in High Altitidue - Own Experience - dfctr - 12-05-2017

(12-05-2017, 12:25 PM)S.L. Ping Beauty Wrote: I have mild apnea symptoms.  My prescribed pressure was 7.0 and I experimented incrementally over the past year up to 8.4 before settling back into 7.4 before the switch to APAP.    Upon switching, my doctor prescribed APAP variable pressure range of 6.0 - 12.0.  

Very comfortable for me now especially upon returning to the nasal pillows in the wee hours after taking a pee.

This is great to know. I just ordered the Dramstation Go Auto.
I'll be reporting back how it behaves on high altitude. Device should be in my country on the 21st.