Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
have you ever slept without a mask due to a severe cold? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: have you ever slept without a mask due to a severe cold? (/Thread-have-you-ever-slept-without-a-mask-due-to-a-severe-cold)

Pages: 1 2

have you ever slept without a mask due to a severe cold? - TimtheEnchanter - 12-07-2017

I am new at this but I soon realized that having two masks is a smart thing. I am learning to use a nose pillow but have a lot more hours on a Amara View FFM. I am trying to figure out what is better when you have a stuffy nose, coughing etc. I tend to lean towards the nose pillow but still undecided. Then again I might just skip the mask I am so tired.
Last night, I've started with the pillow and finished with the FFM - slept only 4 hours but I was rested.

RE: have you ever slept without a mask due to a severe cold? - Sleep2Snore - 12-07-2017

Surprised you can function with only 4 hours!   Unsure

RE: have you ever slept without a mask due to a severe cold? - Sheepish - 12-07-2017

I think your approach of having more than one mask is a good one. Since I started rotating among a few masks, the overall comfort level has improved, if only because you don't constantly have the same contact areas.

As for which mask to use with a full-fledged cold, in the half a year I've been on CPAP, I haven't had one yet, as this treatment (with humidifier) seems to have as a side effect reducing the length and severity of the nasal congestion, rhinitis, runny nose, and frequent colds I was prone to Cold . When I do cough, though, I've found that you can sort of train yourself to do so, or even sneeze, through the mouth while wearing a nasal pillow mask in a way that minimizes the needless excessive messy explosiveness  Grin of doing it inside the confines of a full face mask. eeew

RE: have you ever slept without a mask due to a severe cold? - TimtheEnchanter - 12-07-2017

(12-07-2017, 05:46 AM)Sleep2Snore Wrote: Surprised you can function with only 4 hours!   Unsure

I am 61, also Bipolar Lite; 2 month sleep OK, 10 days insomnia cycle {hypo(manic)}....also called cyclothymic disorder. For a short term I can do it but I need to retire because it is HARD
BTW I did not skip the mask but take my second Ambien(5mg) so I can go back to sleep (3 am) I am on VACATION!

RE: have you ever slept without a mask due to a severe cold? - OpalRose - 12-07-2017

It is clearly easier when you have a cold to use a nasal pillow mask.

The direct air through the nasal passages clears out congestion pretty fast.

If I had to spend the night coughing and sneezing into a full face mask, I would be removing the mask and tossing it across the room.

RE: have you ever slept without a mask due to a severe cold? - SelfLoadingCargo - 12-07-2017

In my experience I can echo OpalRoses's comment about the nasal pillows. That was a very pleasant surprise to me. I distinctly recall my Kaiser sleep technician recommending that I go without the mask while sick. But since my sleep is so poor without it, I shrugged my shoulders and took the chance. After being stuffed up all day long, breathing through my nose was better than finding a $20 bill in my coat pocket.

Great topic, though - this has been on my mind as cold & flu season is upon us. For three years in a row I've had pretty rough bouts with bronchitis, and I'm wondering how I'll do if it strikes again. Good luck to you...

RE: have you ever slept without a mask due to a severe cold? - TimtheEnchanter - 12-07-2017

I would like to add the benefits of using the humidifier a little warmer maybe. My setting was down to 1 and I up back to 3. I just wonder if one could add eucalyptus to the distilled water?

RE: have you ever slept without a mask due to a severe cold? - MitchS - 12-07-2017

I wouldn't put it in the water. A few drops on a cotton ball placed near the air intake of your cpap machine should work, though.

RE: have you ever slept without a mask due to a severe cold? - HalfAsleep - 12-07-2017

A big advantage of using the pillows with a respiratory infection is that you can cough and sneeze without backsplatter. However, you might want to compromise slightly on your leaks and not overdo with chin slings or other accoutrements that restrain your jaws. Let 'er rriipppp!

------------

My new find is spray IcyHot. IIRC it's menthol. Spray it on your upper chest, and it'll waft fumes at you without you damaging your mask. 

Bonus: IcyHot might even help you sleep (I spray my quads with it if I'm having trouble falling asleep; it's relaxing and soothing).

RE: have you ever slept without a mask due to a severe cold? - CB91710 - 12-07-2017

(12-07-2017, 06:00 AM)Sheepish Wrote: I think your approach of having more than one mask is a good one. Since I started rotating among a few masks, the overall comfort level has improved, if only because you don't constantly have the same contact areas.
Same here.

My "#1" is the P10.  Every now and then, I'll get irritation around my nostrils, so I'll go to the Wisp for a week or so.
If I have a cold and I'm not confident I can make it through the night without mouth-breathing, I'll grab the Airtouch (memory foam) F20.