Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
I've got my AHI down to - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: I've got my AHI down to (/Thread-I-ve-got-my-AHI-down-to)

Pages: 1 2

I've got my AHI down to - sleepinggiant - 12-10-2017

I've been using an Airsense 10 for about two weeks.  My AHI was around 40 when I began.  I switched to a full face mask (airfit 20) last Wednesday.  My nasal mask didn't work because I am a mouth breather. Chin strap helped but my mouth was still open..  My AHI was down to 3.5 on Friday night.  Not bad.  Last night it increased to 6.5.   I downloaded the ResScan software today and when looking at the detailed graph of apneas from last night it shows NO apneas until 4 AM.  From 4 AM to 5:15 AM there were 45  of them.  I get up about 5:30.  Any one have any idea why the apneas/hypopneas started at this time and none any other time ?

RE: I've got my AHI down to - DeepBreathing - 12-10-2017

G'day Sleerpinggiant. Welcome to Apnea Board.

It's not unusual for apneas to occur in clusters, but having 45 in an hour is getting too extreme. Without seeing any other details, there are three possibilities that come to mind.

1. Sleep / wake junk. As you transition in and out of sleep your breathing becomes irregular, which the machine can interpret as a cluster of apneas. This often shows as central apnea rather than obstructive. I wouldn't expect it to keep going for an hour, though.

2. Stage of sleep. Maybe you were passing through a stage of REM sleep

3. Positional. Perhaps you rolled onto your back, or else tucked your chin to your chest, thus obstructing the airway.

...or some combination of the above.

A few other comments to help us help you..

What exact type of machine are you using (eg Autoset, Elite). The name will be printed on the face of the machine.

What is your pressure mode and setting? The 115 mentioned in your profile doesn't make sense unless it's a typo.

We generally recommend #SleepyHead software as it is easier to use and presents the charts in a more readable format than ResScan. However a lot of sleep docs wont accept Sleepyhead output as it's not "official". In either case, let's see some charts: a picture is worth many words.

RE: I've got my AHI down to - chill - 12-10-2017

That is usually positional: you rolled over onto your back or tucked your chin in obstructing your airway.  A soft cervical collar can help with the latter as well as with mouth breathing.  It could also be related to deeper sleep cycles, but I would expect that to be more consistent night to night.

Post your SleepyHead charts so we can take a look.

RE: I've got my AHI down to - trish6hundred - 12-12-2017

Hi sleepinggiant,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck with CPAP therapy and finding a mask you really like.

RE: I've got my AHI down to - Sleep2Snore - 12-12-2017

Hi sleepinggiant,
Welcome to the forum.

Something happened, either you had a large leak, rolled onto your back, or your other sleep partner was strangling you!
Only joking about the last one.
You did something at the last art of the night.
What sort of Apneas did it say you had?
Was it all obstructive, or Centrals or a mixture of types of apnea.

You have a data capable machine, so you could upload you data via sleepyhead if you can others might be able to advise.

RE: I've got my AHI down to - sleepinggiant - 12-13-2017

I am just beginning to figure out Sleepyhead.  Here are two screenshots from the last session.  Hope this works.

Weird.  I have reached my attachment limit with one screenshot ?

Help ?

RE: I've got my AHI down to - Walla Walla - 12-13-2017

After four posts you become a regular member and can post more charts.

4 posts is  the line drawn ?  ok

Thanks for the links and help.

JR