Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
What's your target AHI? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: What's your target AHI? (/Thread-What-s-your-target-AHI)

Pages: 1 2 3

What's your target AHI? - Walla Walla - 12-19-2017

Eat-popcornDeleted

RE: What's your target API? - Apnea Infant - 12-19-2017

I have been lucky in that once therapy settled, my numbers have been mainly below 1. I do notice if it creeps above 1 I do feel less energised.

RE: What's your target API? - paulag1955 - 12-19-2017

What is API?

RE: What's your target API? - Apnea Infant - 12-19-2017

Think he means AHI??

RE: What's your target API? - Mosquitobait - 12-19-2017

Obviously a mistype. Should be AHI. I don't have a target AHI since it's not really reflective of my situation. It's always under 1 because the only time I have issues is during REM, but if it does go over 1 - 3 nights in a row, it means I need a new pillow/cushion. I do have targets though. My current target is to sleep a solid 7 hours. I have RLS, so that makes it difficult. It took me 2 years to get to 6 hours about 70% of the time. Still, I am now occasionally getting to 7 hours which is new.

RE: What's your target API? - OpalRose - 12-19-2017

An AHI <1  Smile
But need at least 7 hours sleep.

RE: What's your target AHI? - Walla Walla - 12-19-2017

Sorry about the typo Oh-jeez

RE: What's your target AHI? - Rcgop - 12-19-2017

AHI <1. And continuous sleep >4 hours. Still improving after 1 1/2 years. Getting 7 hours sleep, just waking up several times a night.

RE: What's your target AHI? - Doza - 12-19-2017

Being new to this still, and seeing a bit of a flattening out of the data as I cruise into the role of Elephant Woman, I'm very happy with an AHI under 2 and ecstatic if it's under 1. Anything over 3 and I feel like I've failed at something LOL

RE: What's your target AHI? - WillSleep - 12-19-2017

I am still l new at this so not sure how valuable this input is..

I am reaching for a holistic solution rather than just AHI 
  • As I have seen a few others post I have felt much better, seen better oxygenation through the night and had a lower morning blood pressure reading with AHI of 6-10 than sometimes how I have felt with an AHI of 3-5.
  • Prior to the ASV machine and with the ASV machine if I just set the goal on low AHI the pulse-ox results show that my heart will take a heck a beating each night I am going to need this therapy for the next 20-40 years..  so much I expect my lifespan would be shortened if I also did not pay attention to and titrate to find solution that is heart friendly as well as reaches for a lower AHI.
  • After low AHI and a heart friendly solution then third in priority the effectiveness and quality of actual sleep and patient comfort come into play.
  • So for me the story is all about is seeking a holistic solution. 

Now to actually answer the question - The End state Goals I am working toward: 
  • Consistent AHI < 2.0
  • Oxygenation, heart rate variability and average heart rate to be as good as I know is possible for me (note I wrote this so it could be applied more generally than just to myself). 
  • Proper healthy sleep, participating in appropriate percentages of time in each stage of sleep (REM is so elusive for me)