Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Radio Frequency Turbinate Reduction - Need Ya'lls Help! - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Radio Frequency Turbinate Reduction - Need Ya'lls Help! (/Thread-Radio-Frequency-Turbinate-Reduction-Need-Ya-lls-Help)

Pages: 1 2

Radio Frequency Turbinate Reduction - Need Ya'lls Help! - fitmart - 12-28-2017

Next week I am having a Turbinate Reduction surgery using radio frequency.  I have really found precious little online regarding the recovery.  I am trying to put together a recovery plan, but find nothing but conflicting info.  Some of my questions are below:

1. How long before I can safely blow my nose.
  2. Do I start using nasal rinse (neli-med) right after the procedure.
  3. How often should I use the nasal rinse.
  4. When is it safe to exercise again?
  5. Can I use my nasal pillow CPAP.  If not, when do I start back.
  6. Some sites say use Afrin the first couple days.  Others say not to.
  7. Not to sound silly, but if I am to avoid exercise for a while so I don't spike blood pressure, what about sex?
Any personal experiences would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

--Fit
(An OCD Engineer that must plan out everything)

RE: Radio Frequency Turbinate Reduction - Need Ya'lls Help! - DeepBreathing - 12-28-2017

Not trying to be a smart-arse here, but aren't these all questions you should be discussing with your surgical team?

RE: Radio Frequency Turbinate Reduction - Need Ya'lls Help! - AshSF - 12-28-2017

Hey Fit. Since you are an OCD engineer, you must’ve read all papers on pubmed about long term effects of RFVTR.

When I evaluated it earlier, one thing that kept on Appearing is that the scar tissue keeps building up and most people need a redo in less than 7 years. So I decided against it and went with doing nasal rinses to slowly reduce the chronic swelling in my nose. It did help and now I breathe exclusively thru the nose.

My 2 cents. YMMV.

RE: Radio Frequency Turbinate Reduction - Need Ya'lls Help! - Sleeprider - 12-28-2017

If you don't mind, why are you doing this? I thought you were getting good results with your CPAP. We haven't seen much data, but you have that video out there that seems to suggest this is anything but essential.

RE: Radio Frequency Turbinate Reduction - Need Ya'lls Help! - fitmart - 12-29-2017

Been to 2 ENT's.  They give conflicting info.  Which also conflicts with what I read online from other ENT sites.  Looking now for someone who has gone through it to get their advice.

RE: Radio Frequency Turbinate Reduction - Need Ya'lls Help! - fitmart - 12-29-2017

(12-28-2017, 09:52 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: If you don't mind, why are you doing this?  I thought you were getting good results with your CPAP.  We haven't seen much data, but you  have that video out there that seems to suggest this is anything but essential.

I struggle to breath through my nose at evening.  The CPAP helps, by pushing air through the narrow passages, but often times that is not enough and it is hard to get to sleep as a result.  Once I am asleep, things seems to get better.  However, on the occasional nights that I can breathe freely, I always feel more energetic in the morning.  (already been the Flonase, neti-pot, Sudafed, claritan route)

(12-28-2017, 09:30 PM)AshSF Wrote: Hey Fit. Since you are an OCD engineer, you must’ve read all papers on pubmed about long term effects of RFVTR.

When I evaluated it earlier, one thing that kept on Appearing is that the scar tissue keeps building up and most people need a redo in less than 7 years. So I decided against it and went with doing nasal rinses to slowly reduce the chronic swelling in my nose. It did help and now I breathe exclusively thru the nose.

My 2 cents. YMMV.

Yes, I have gone through the nasal rinses, and claritan, and Sudafed, and Flonase.  They just like to start swelling in the evening making breathing labored, but not impossible.  I am aware that this may be repeated in the future, but there are some other benefits.  The radio frequency method  substantially reduces the chance of empty nose.  It is also an in office procedure with no general anesthesia.  My out of pocket will be about $100.  (already met deductible).  So, I see it as sort of a test run.  If it works, great!  If not, I will need to consider the more invasive procedure and possible a septoplasty.

Thanks for your advice

RE: Radio Frequency Turbinate Reduction - Need Ya'lls Help! - HalfAsleep - 12-29-2017

Nasal strips? They dilate the nasal passages.

RE: Radio Frequency Turbinate Reduction - Need Ya'lls Help! - Sleeprider - 12-29-2017

Resmed Airfit P10 nasal pillows...problem solved.

RE: Radio Frequency Turbinate Reduction - Need Ya'lls Help! - HalfAsleep - 12-29-2017

(12-29-2017, 10:41 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Resmed Airfit P10 nasal pillows...problem solved.

Whistle