Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
unable to lower AHI - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: unable to lower AHI (/Thread-unable-to-lower-AHI)

unable to lower AHI - Andrzej - 01-05-2018

[attachment=4098][attachment=4099]
I am using CPAP machine for over one year and unable to lower AHI . It stays the same between 5 and 6.
Please see my charts from typical two nights. I would appreciate any suggestions and comments.
Thanks

RE: unable to lower AHI - OpalRose - 01-05-2018

Hi Andrzej,
Since you are mostly showing hypopneas and a few obstructives, a slight increase in your pressure may help.

Increase your pressure to 8cm and watch for a few days. You may need to increase pressure by .5cm until you find a decrease in Apnea events. If you start to see an increase in Clear Airways, then reset pressure back by .5cm.

Also, you are using the CFlex feature. Try setting it at 1.

Give these changes a few days.

RE: unable to lower AHI - sleepinggiant - 01-05-2018

Are you sleeping on your back ?  My AHI is always higher when I sleep on my back.  Sleeping on my back increases my CA's immensely.

RE: unable to lower AHI - Andrzej - 01-05-2018

Thank you for suggestions .
OpalFose -I will increase pressure 0.5 tonight . I have C flex + in my setting
I need clarification : is number 1 harder to exhale? and should I use  it in my case since I have mostly  hypoapnea ( shallow breath ) ?
------
Sleepinggiant
I am trying not to sleep on my back , tried a trick with the tennis ball on my back , It does not work .I waked up
every time I turned on my back.

RE: unable to lower AHI - Walla Walla - 01-05-2018

Yep. OpalFose is the best! Yes number 1 will be a little harder.

RE: unable to lower AHI - Andrzej - 01-05-2018

so if the harder means better , I will set Flex tonight number 1

RE: unable to lower AHI - Sleeprider - 01-05-2018

Both obstructive an hypopnea are present. I'm not sure Flex is affecting this, but many of us have done better with a setting of 1 than 3. With obstructive events like this, higher pressure is called for. Completely agree with what has been said so far.

RE: unable to lower AHI - Sleep2Snore - 01-05-2018

Try it at 1, if you find that to hard to breath against the machine, use 2.
It is best once you get used to it to turn it off all together.   If you can that is.

RE: unable to lower AHI - OpalRose - 01-05-2018

(01-05-2018, 02:04 PM)Andrzej Wrote: Thank you for suggestions .
OpalFose -I will increase pressure 0.5 tonight . I have C flex + in my setting
I need clarification : is number 1 harder to exhale? and should I use  it in my case since I have mostly  hypoapnea ( shallow breath ) ?
------
Sleepinggiant
I am trying not to sleep on my back , tried a trick with the tennis ball on my back , It does not work .I waked up
every time I turned on my back.

Try your CFlex on 1, and if you feel it is too hard for you to exhale, then change it to 2. It probably won’t make much difference, so your comfort level comes first. Smile

RE: unable to lower AHI - trish6hundred - 01-05-2018

Hi Andrzej,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck with CPAP therapy and getting it fine-tuned.