Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
No Prescription Needed? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: No Prescription Needed? (/Thread-No-Prescription-Needed)

Pages: 1 2

No Prescription Needed? - SideSleeper - 01-05-2018

I was following a link that popped up on my computer and it was from Supplier #30 regarding the F&P Brevida mask.  In the order area it says "prescription needed" but then tells you how to avoid this and buy without a prescription:

Prescription required. To purchase without a prescription, please purchase the following items:
Commercial Links Removed.
Brevida-Mask-System-Without-Headgear $74.00
Brevida-Replacement-Headgear $31.00

That's kind of an end run around the fence, isn't it?

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----

RE: No Prescription Needed? - Walla Walla - 01-05-2018

It's legal. The prescription requirement for a mask is crazy anyway. Nobody ever overdosed from a mask.

RE: No Prescription Needed? - OpalRose - 01-05-2018

Yes, you can purchase mask parts separately to equal a complete mask with no prescription needed.

If you purchase a “complete” mask system, then a prescription is needed.

RE: No Prescription Needed? - SideSleeper - 01-05-2018

I'm not advocating for strict enforcement of the prescription! Seems a little weird to me that they are needed, but to get around that it is so simple.....

RE: No Prescription Needed? - Reznik - 01-05-2018

(01-05-2018, 11:32 PM)SideSleeper Wrote: I'm not advocating for strict enforcement of the prescription!  Seems a little weird to me that they are needed, but to get around that it is so simple.....

The mask is a prescription medical device.  

The parts are, well, parts.  Smile

RE: No Prescription Needed? - CB91710 - 01-06-2018

At least one supplier provides an option for prescription information, but then has a check box "I am purchasing a mask without a prescription"
Personally, I've purchased a dozen or more complete kits (including "fitment kits" with 3 mask sizes) without issue. I've only encountered one supplier that required a prescription, and only one that offered the above option.

RE: No Prescription Needed? - readyforsleep - 01-06-2018

I know someone who just bought a new bilevel machine without a prescription. Saved alot of $.

RE: No Prescription Needed? - AshSF - 01-06-2018

Except my initial machine and supplies, I have bought everything else at amzn. No prescription needed. Ever!!

RE: No Prescription Needed? - ghstudio - 01-06-2018

I wanted to try the dreamwear nasal mask and also keep and use my original amara mask if I had a bad cold or as backup....and of course there are those medicare rules.  I bought (assembled) my nasal mask for less than $50 with a combination of Amazon and EBAY....everything sealed in original packages.  No problems...no prescription required...until....

You've gotta love Medicare. I tried to get some standard replacement parts from the folks who dispensed my APAP, mask, etc.  When I told them I wanted replacements for the dreamwear nasal mask instead of my original Amera they said my prescription said full mask and they couldn't give me replacement parts for a nasal mask without a new prescription...or medicare might not pay them.  I got the prescription and sent it to them...but now they were missing a medicare required letter saying that the APAP therapy was "helping" (without that letter, they wouldn't send any replacement parts for either mask)...so back to the doctor again for a letter.  Eventually....after 5 months....I think I'm set up for automatic replacement deliveries.

The moral of this long post is....if you are on your own $'s, buy where you get the best deal and don't be afraid to mix and match suppliers or assemble your own masks out of parts.  If you are on Medicare and want Medicare to pay for your supplies....well, make sure you get a new prescription if you change mask type.

RE: No Prescription Needed? - freetime - 01-06-2018

I don't believe it is a good idea to have a cavalier attitude about advertising how it is possible to get around some of the prescription rules. I would post why, but that probably belongs in the "Off Topic Forum"